This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starting to run out of gaming hard drive space. Need the best performing HDD

#11Broccoli92Posted 9/13/2013 11:57:00 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Seagate has some very shoddy HDD lineups. My 1TB SeaGate sometimes undeletes files or other strange things. It also screwed up the file system at one point, tried to undo a bunch of deletes after "checking for consistency", resulting in a bunch of random corrupted files. Another 160GB Seagate I have overheats, and stops reading correctly.(though the files have never been damaged from this, even when continuing to write) Thought it was defective, replacement did the exact same thing under heavy write use. It's fine for reading, though, so into my PS2 it goes!

WD is shaky with their Green drives. Had two Caviar Greens, one didn't work as a boot drive out of the box, and the replacement stopped working as a boot drive within a year. Also have a very old 160GB WD drive that makes strange noises, has very inconsistent performance, and doesn't work correctly as a boot drive. No problems with data storage, though.

I've had a few Fujitsus and never had problems, but then, they were never used as primary drives.

Whatever happened to Maxtor?

I'm pretty sure Maxtor is now Seagate. Yeah i have a old Maxter 80GB IDE HDD 7 years and it's still working though.
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#12DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 1:57:12 AM
anyone have experience with SSHD s?
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#13SpacewhizguyPosted 9/14/2013 3:31:42 AM(edited)
MasterDonGero posted...
Basically, all drives of the same RPM will perform very similarly.

False statement.

DARQ MX posted...

Basically a hard drive that uses a super small SSD as a cache for reading the most commonly used parts of your hard drive. It can be pretty effective.
---
What's a sig?
#14DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 5:31:38 AM
Spacewhizguy posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
Basically, all drives of the same RPM will perform very similarly.

False statement.

DARQ MX posted...

Basically a hard drive that uses a super small SSD as a cache for reading the most commonly used parts of your hard drive. It can be pretty effective.

Thanks. I know what they are. I am just seeing if Seagate since they are the only ones that make them. Are worth it?
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#15PolarisPosted 9/14/2013 6:17:44 AM
Last I heard of SSHDs they were designed for notebooks and the HDD was extremely slow, but was masked by the fast SSD. However for a 3D game with a lot of loads everything is going to the HDD, the cache will do nothing.