This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam Family and Friends Sharing

#41sonicteam2k1Posted 9/11/2013 1:59:38 PM
arleas posted...
That pretty well clears everything up. Basically you're allowing up to 10 people to have access to your entire library, but only one person at a time... I think what happens is that if you lend your library to Bob and Susan, and Susan decides to play one of your games, then Bob can't play anything you own till Susan gets off your account and stops hogging it all for herself (That *****!). If you happen to show up at any time, it probably gives Bob or Susan notification that you're playing a game and they can either save and quit or buy the game to keep playing (They're hoping you'll do the latter and not so much the former).

nah from what I read it made it sound like if I wanted to share my library with my wife, I could be playing lets say...Darksiders and she can be playing ...Puzzle Quest, and we both can play different games at the same time, but if I wanted to play Puzzle Quest it would kick her off.

that's what I want to know. It will be pretty stupid if it doesn't work that way IMO
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#42BuburibonPosted 9/11/2013 2:04:27 PM
arleas posted...
Well, so much for my dad and I "combining" our libraries.

Well of course not... It doesn't benefit publishers in the slightest if you two can freely share games back and forth without worry. They're still hoping you'll get mad that someone lent you their library and wanted to pull the plug on you in the middle of a game, thus forcing you to either sit back and be patient or buy the game yourself.

I don't know many patient people on PC... sounds like you aren't either...I guess as long as you don't care about being stuck offline, you could always go to your dad's house, log in and go into offline mode and then disconnect from the internet while he plays everything single player with no achievements or steam cloud saves... Then he can log in from a different computer and lend you his library and go back offline.

That's probably as close as you can get (unless Valve has already thought of this and made some way to stop it from working like that).

That's precisely why I chose to enclose "combining" in quotation marks, and mentioned it would be nice to demo some games once in a while.

But you're completely right, a more open sharing program would affect sales and absolutely no publisher would ever agree to that. As a gamer, I wouldn't agree with it either as I believe in supporting the industry as much as I possibly can. By the way, I don't know many people here on GameFAQs who can make a point without resorting to using some sort of personal remark... sounds like you can't either...
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#43arleasPosted 9/11/2013 2:11:44 PM(edited)
from what I read it made it sound like if I wanted to share my library with my wife, I could be playing lets say...Darksiders and she can be playing ...Puzzle Quest, and we both can play different games at the same time,

Someone already quoted the relevant part of the FAQ page... Here it is again.

Can I share specific games, or do I have to share my whole library?

Libraries are shared and borrowed in their entirety.

Can a friend and I share a library and both play at the same time?

No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

The library is shared as a whole, and the library (not the game) can be accessed by one user at a time...

Only thing that concerns me is the ability to be 'logged in'. If I can be on my steam account and still chat with friends while giving access to my library on another device, I'll be happy. If I have to be logged out, that's going to be mostly useless to me.

The way it's worded I'm interpreting it as: you can be logged in, but the minute you go to play something, it kicks the others off... If it does turn out to be that you can't even log in, then that's worthless to people who keep steam open all the time... Only useful if you decide to go on vacation and leave your steam account with a friend at home.

By the way, I don't know many people here on GameFAQs who can make a point without resorting to using some sort of personal remark... sounds like you can't either...

I apologize if it came out wrong. I didn't know you were going to take that negatively. I didn't mean it as an insult. I just mean that most people are on PC precisely because they can minimize loading times, tweak things to get a better framerate, and in general get more out of everything. Waiting is not a PC user strong suit.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#44steveboblarryPosted 9/11/2013 3:49:38 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Yeah... sounds nearly completely useless to me. Wake me up if the friends and family can play games in my library while I'm using other games in said library.

If EA did it you would defend it and say its the next best thing to sliced bread, and everyone else who doesn't agree is an idiot.
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#45DerPancakePosted 9/11/2013 3:55:12 PM
Meh, I wouldn't share my stuff even if you point a full loaded gun at me.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#46Orestes417Posted 9/11/2013 4:05:04 PM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

Yeah... sounds nearly completely useless to me. Wake me up if the friends and family can play games in my library while I'm using other games in said library.

If EA did it you would defend it and say its the next best thing to sliced bread, and everyone else who doesn't agree is an idiot.

If EA did it it'd still be a near useless feature and you'd still be an idiot. The only two cases I can see value in the setup as worded are if the users are sharing a physical household and don't want to screw up each other's online persona or acting as a demo to convince your pals to buy a game.

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#47steveboblarryPosted 9/11/2013 4:00:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Orestes417 posted...

If EA did it it'd still be a near useless feature and you'd still be an idiot.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#48BuburibonPosted 9/11/2013 4:07:29 PM
arleas posted...
By the way, I don't know many people here on GameFAQs who can make a point without resorting to using some sort of personal remark... sounds like you can't either...

I apologize if it came out wrong. I didn't know you were going to take that negatively. I didn't mean it as an insult. I just mean that most people are on PC precisely because they can minimize loading times, tweak things to get a better framerate, and in general get more out of everything. Waiting is not a PC user strong suit.

No problem. Thank you for being civil about it. I can see how patience might not be a PC gamer's strong suit as you put it.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#49Dukaduka1k82Posted 9/11/2013 4:43:46 PM
Well I expect when this is released out of beta, to see a whole lot of accounts being VAC banned for cheating because people will be randomly trading accounts with people online thinking they can "outsmart" the sharing system without fully reading what it does.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm
#50AnnihilatedPosted 9/11/2013 6:57:24 PM
What if two people are sharing their libraries with each other? Does that mean they can play one of yours while you play one of theirs, since it's technically one user per library?