This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC turn based strategy games in the vein of Fire Emblem Final Fantasy Tactics?

#11AebleskiverPosted 9/11/2013 1:14:12 PM
Xcom has permadeath like Fire Emblem if you care about that.
---
Bloop
#12NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 7:48:15 PM
some pathetic posts in this topic

Turn-based tactics on PC:

>Fallout: Tactics

>Temple of Elemental Evil (not grid-based but uses a movement meter which works identically, can be modded with Co8 to control 8 units)

>Jagged Alliance 2 (the godfather of TBT even without the 1.13 overhaul, includes a strat mode and is prob the most intelligently coded, conceptualized and executed game I've ever seen, it invokes admiration (bowdown)

>Silent Storm
#13Flaktrooper123Posted 9/11/2013 8:12:01 PM
Jagged Alliance 2 is good even without 1.13. With 1.13, it is AWESOME. Not sure when the new kickstarter Jagged Alliance will be released though.

XCom: UFO Defense and Terror from The Deep - Old retro style original Xcom

XCom: Enemy Unknown - pretty new

Steel Panthers 3 - Quite old, but that kind as well
#14DarkRobin1Posted 9/11/2013 8:28:32 PM
You could try Kamidori Alchemy Meister. It's a visual novel/eroge/srpg rolled into one. There's crafting and special character outfits (dif elements) that change the appearance of the main characters. Those main characters also have skill trees for each of those special outfits and all the characters have skills that can be equipped and unlocked through leveling.
---
3DS FC: 3093-8370-8738
#15iscareu13Posted 9/11/2013 8:54:06 PM
UberLurker posted...
- Grid based movement... check (Wesnoth is actually hex based... much better IMHO)

Not sure if the two are connected in anyway, but I know Civilization V changed to a hex based system (the past ones were all the normal grid system). What is the advantage for turn based games to be hex based?

I normally don't play turn based games, so I am just wondering...
#16SteamsterPosted 9/11/2013 8:58:16 PM
iscareu13 posted...
UberLurker posted...
- Grid based movement... check (Wesnoth is actually hex based... much better IMHO)

Not sure if the two are connected in anyway, but I know Civilization V changed to a hex based system (the past ones were all the normal grid system). What is the advantage for turn based games to be hex based?

I normally don't play turn based games, so I am just wondering...

I googled it

http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/1166534/1/

I think that's about as detailed of an answer as you're going to get.
#17NingishzidaPosted 9/12/2013 6:22:01 AM(edited)
UberLurker posted...

not sure how you can say hex > square. grid can be hex or square, it's more design consideration as related to art assets than any combat tactical versatility one holds over the other.

for example, Fallout 1/2/Tactics employ your "superior" hexgrid, but the combat isn't anywhere near as complex or rigorous as Jagged Alliance 2, which resolved the limitations of square with a bag of tricks.

ToEE doesn't even use a grid, it's amazing how they coded it. there's just a coloured action meter that gives feedback of movement and combat actions with coloured segments. it's very cool because if you hold down the alt key you can see what the movement will entail in committing to it not just for you but what attack of opportunity (if any) the enemy will get on you as you weave thru and perform an action. this is done dynamically: a coloured line appears and you can move it around at-will and the line changes colour and shows what risks are entailed.

in JA2, you can't really tell what the enemy's gonna do like this, once you commit you are at the mercy of enemy interrupts (this is both good and bad, i prefer the ToEE way personally).

imo, more TBT games should use a meter, ToEE is 2nd only to JA2 overall but it's melee combat is 10 times as complex and interesting due to the meter and sheer variety of radial actions.

not directed at you:

Wizardry 8 is a blobber and is somewhat tactical but positioning of units is nowhere near as fleshed out as the others.
#18maybecallsPosted 9/12/2013 6:32:00 AM
They've already been mentioned, but I also recommend the King's Bounty games. The combat is turn based, and they're rather addictive games. You don't need great hardware for them, either. My old PC (Pentium 4 from 2002/1GB RAM/7900GS 256MB) ran The Legend and Armored Princess perfectly.
#19RavenoussdPosted 9/12/2013 6:41:52 AM
not exactly on the PC (emulation)

but i suggest heavily on the Front mission series.....front mission 3, 4 and 5

i would start with 3....if you can get past the graphics
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#20SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/12/2013 6:47:33 AM
http://www.gog.com/game/expeditions_conquistador

I've never played it, but I heard this game is an SRPG/TBT game.

Also available on Steam IIRC.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch