This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've become hopelessly cynical about video games.

#11wizardmonPosted 9/11/2013 7:29:43 PM(edited)
This is kinda what I've been going through for years, although for me it's more of noticing absolutely glaring issues with menu screens, design choices that induce hassles for the player to deal with, or other asinine choices that make me want to never touch a menu screen again.

The Witcher 2's meditation screen for instance was a nightmare for me, I actually only ever went into that screen if I was required to.

I think BattleField 2 and 2142 started it for me, pressing ESC took 12 seconds of my life away every single time because I wanted to adjust one little thing quickly or I accidentally pressed it looking for the scores.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#12NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 7:37:03 PM
wizardmon posted...
The Witcher 2's meditation screen for instance was a nightmare for me, I actually only ever went into that screen if I was required to.

tru dat

but it wasn't just meditation, it was trying to do anything in that loathsomely unintuitive UI clunkfest.

it takes a special group of idiots to employ a mandatory screenfade on a simple inventory call-up mode.
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/11/2013 7:39:59 PM
cody4783 posted...
Amount of time to play games directly correlates to how critical I am of the ones I'm playing.

When I had all the time in the world to play, and only a handful of games to enjoy....Lots of things could slip by.

When I have a couple hours a day, and hundreds of games I'm interested in/could be playing, anything that makes the time I am playing sub-optimal becomes a bit more of an issue.

This is very true.
However, I find that, more and more, big-name published games are making really stupid rookie mistakes. The kind of stuff that shouldn't have been a problem since decades ago.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#14TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 7:47:32 PM
I think perhaps one thing I need to keep in mind when I finish this break from gaming is that I'm not looking for a perfectly bug free or mechanically sound game... but games with the fewest problems. No game is built perfect, due to the complexities and time constraints of the industry. But man, it's easy to forget that when you play too many games.

I've not even been playing many games lately, either. But XCOM Enemy Unknown is one of those games that inspired this in me. I was thinking, this is an AAA title and there are so many little flaws that annoy me: why won't the camera stay zoomed out after turns? why is the frame rate so impossibly jittery despite having a GTX 580? why do I have to watch so many cutscenes? why doesn't the instruction manual explain almost anything?

I wanna say my biggest problem might be with AAA games that get away with stuff like that, but sometimes indie titles do annoy me as well. Like I said, maybe I need to become more strict about what I buy or perhaps simply take a long break.
#15NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 7:57:51 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
However, I find that, more and more, big-name published games are making really stupid rookie mistakes. The kind of stuff that shouldn't have been a problem since decades ago.

CDPR being a prime example, they made fundamental errors in game design you would expect of a 1st year game dev student.

It's staggering just how dumb and obnoxious contemporary game devs are, they learn nothing from the past and make the same amateur errors over and over to the point of absurdity.

however, I don't mind. Such idiots supply me with seemingly limitless material with which to mock them.
#16MasterDonGeroPosted 9/11/2013 8:05:38 PM
This is kinda what I'm going through, though it's also influenced by some of my many character, mental, and emotional flaws. Tomb Raider is getting difficult to play, and there isn't even anything that I think is wrong with it.

What usually helps me is to play some old games, whether it be old PC games or firing up an emulator. I just recently beat Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on Dolphin, and it helped some. I'm also playing The Wind Waker, but I've stopped after beating the Earth Temple, because it reminds me of my ex (her and TWW helped me through an impossibly difficult time).

Just play a game that reminds you of nothing but good times, and you'll fall back in love with gaming. It doesn't matter if it's recent or from the 8-bit era, as long as it makes you feel good to play it.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#17NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 8:06:55 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
This is kinda what I'm going through, though it's also influenced by some of my many character, mental, and emotional flaws. Tomb Raider is getting difficult to play, and there isn't even anything that I think is wrong with it.

What usually helps me is to play some old games, whether it be old PC games or firing up an emulator. I just recently beat Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on Dolphin, and it helped some. I'm also playing The Wind Waker, but I've stopped after beating the Earth Temple, because it reminds me of my ex (her and TWW helped me through an impossibly difficult time).

Just play a game that reminds you of nothing but good times, and you'll fall back in love with gaming. It doesn't matter if it's recent or from the 8-bit era, as long as it makes you feel good to play it.

degenerate nostalgia at it's worst
#18KidInTheHallPosted 9/11/2013 8:11:58 PM
GTA V will fix that. 6 more days!

Whee!!!
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#19Moose_Of_WoePosted 9/11/2013 9:14:40 PM
Ningishzida posted...
It's not you or this board, gaming just simply sucks ass right now

Gaming has sucked for the last decade, it will suck for another 5 years at least.

That's why there are so many trolls and "nostalgia" ppl.

Best answer.

Very good/great games are still released from time to time, but not nearly at the rate they once were. At the same time, mass amounts of shovelware and overrated, oversimplified garbage gets vomited out non stop.

Games don't allow you to lose anymore which hollows the feeling of victory. With rare exception.
#20DerPancakePosted 9/11/2013 9:16:51 PM(edited)
I didn't enjoy videogames that much until this generation.

Well to be exact, I didn't play anything besides RTS until this generation.
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!