This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've become hopelessly cynical about video games.

#31DerPancakePosted 9/11/2013 10:20:11 PM
steveboblarry posted...

The battle of the PC board trolls....ROUND ONE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I'm now a troll for having a different point of view in some stuff?
---
Nope Nope Nope!!!!
#32HighOnPhazonPosted 9/11/2013 11:38:00 PM
Ning's posts remind me of the elitist comic book guy from the Simpsons. They are so cynical and filled with bitter sarcasm that I cant help but laugh.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB / Corsair TX650
#33NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 11:47:02 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
elitist comic book guy from the Simpsons. They are so cynical and filled with bitter sarcasm that I cant help but laugh.

likening me to a character from a pop-culture rabble animated comedy just shows how classy and cultivated you are.
#34_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/12/2013 2:00:21 AM
I think the worst thing you can do is hang out on these message-boards. They will have you believe that even pretty decent games are hopelessly flawed pieces of crap. You will find that attitude on almost any board you visit.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#35Ikari GendoPosted 9/12/2013 5:22:22 AM
Don't know how people still haven't blocked ning.

Anyway, to TC, find a niche or find other hobbies. It happens to a lot of people when you get older. I don't remember the last time I played a AAA but there are enough games to keep me interested in playing games, even if it's only a small handful at this point.

But I also read and write a lot more now since college... Feel less like timewasters than gaming.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#36LostHisHardcorePosted 9/12/2013 5:27:25 AM
I'm still playing Fallout NV. I like games that last awhile. Most action games don't
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#37FeatherwindPosted 9/12/2013 6:05:54 AM(edited)
I don't know is browsing these boards a good idea or not. While they are often negative I think they are also positive when appropriate.

The negativity might be a backlash to the unwarranted positivity around new games. Often devs try to create a certain impression of their game by advertising and hyping it but often it doesn't match the player experiences. The games often feel like they were designed with a "feature checklist" in mind which the devs say is supposed to create a certain experience but which often doesn't. Far Cry 3, The Witcher 2 and GTA4 are examples of such games. Just before I bought Diablo 3 I read what the devs said of the huge amount of skills and Inferno challenge would be like but once I played it it became apparent that almost all of the spells and runes were really gimmicky and pointless and Inferno was just very wonky and not challenging at all with the proper playstyle. This "pre-packaging" stuff is not a problem only game devs have.

Another issue is that not all game devs focus on creating definitive and solid games. Many games feel like they are made with a series and DLC/expansions in mind which makes it really hard to develop classic games. For example Valve games often feel well though out - as far as I can see a L4D3 wouldn't even be necessary as L4D2 is not really missing anything major and the experience is complete and satisfying.

I just can't be too positive around new game releases as there is not really a reason to be positive. Like DarkZV2Beta and Ningishzida said it's just often the devs repeating the same mistakes over and over again & trying to "improve" games in questionable and possibly pointless ways.

Ningishzida posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/gone-home-review

while rummaging through my father's study, I came across a box filled to the brim with dozens of copies of his unsuccessful second novel. But after removing the top few layers of literature, I unearthed he awful Pandora's Box of his smut magazine collection.
#38MasterDonGeroPosted 9/12/2013 7:36:27 AM
Ningishzida posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
This is kinda what I'm going through, though it's also influenced by some of my many character, mental, and emotional flaws. Tomb Raider is getting difficult to play, and there isn't even anything that I think is wrong with it.

What usually helps me is to play some old games, whether it be old PC games or firing up an emulator. I just recently beat Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on Dolphin, and it helped some. I'm also playing The Wind Waker, but I've stopped after beating the Earth Temple, because it reminds me of my ex (her and TWW helped me through an impossibly difficult time).

Just play a game that reminds you of nothing but good times, and you'll fall back in love with gaming. It doesn't matter if it's recent or from the 8-bit era, as long as it makes you feel good to play it.

degenerate nostalgia at it's worst

Why?
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#39KidInTheHallPosted 9/12/2013 7:39:36 AM
DerPancake posted...
steveboblarry posted...

The battle of the PC board trolls....ROUND ONE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I'm now a troll for having a different point of view in some stuff?

Hey hey guy come on, you were always a troll , it's nothing new.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#40GoldninjaPosted 9/12/2013 10:48:53 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
This is kinda what I'm going through, though it's also influenced by some of my many character, mental, and emotional flaws. Tomb Raider is getting difficult to play, and there isn't even anything that I think is wrong with it.

Tomb Raider had a rough start. It was a QTE fest and it nearly made me quit. It's a decent game but I don't see myself ever playing it again.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/b3422xl - Petition to make phone unlocking legal again