This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I have to buy a new version of Windows 7 when installing an SSD?

#1capgamerPosted 9/11/2013 6:40:43 PM
I want to send my old computer over to some family because they need one and I was thinking of putting in a new SSD and hard drive for them. The problem is I've already used the Windows 7 disc and key when I installed it to that machine the first time. Is it possible for me to reuse the same disc and key or is it going to fail when I go to install it?
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#2ShubPosted 9/11/2013 6:43:29 PM
It's the same computer, so you shouldn't have any issue. If you do have an issue, you will simply call Microsoft and tell them you had to replace the hard drive. When asked if Windows is only installed on one computer, say yes, and when asked if it's the same computer as it was originally installed on, say yes. It is the truth, after all. You may not even need to speak with a human, they have an automated system where they have you type a bunch of numbers on your phone, and then the system spits out another bunch of numbers for you to enter in Windows.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3Flaktrooper123Posted 9/11/2013 6:49:07 PM
No, I don't think so. If you are not replacing your motherboard, there should not be any issue. You may have to contact Microsoft customer service if your Windows copy is an OEM version though. If it is retail version, no problem.
#4capgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 6:59:12 PM
All right, thanks guys.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown