This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New build is obliterating the hard drives.

#1GrooterPosted 9/11/2013 7:17:07 PM
Hey guys. I've been having a ton of trouble with this new build and could really use some input. The system is as follows:

ASUS M59A7 LE R2.0 Motherboard ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008V99350/ )

AMD 8-core 8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Sapphire Radeon HD6850
Corsair RAM (1600mhz) 8gb
ePOWER 600w power supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101048 )
Standard Samsung DVD Burner
Windows 7 Home

And these 3 hard drives (each separately): Western Digital Blue 500gb and two Seagate Barracudas 2tb

I put everything in with the WD 500gb first and started it up. Wiped the info on it from the previous build and did a fresh install of Windows 7. It went through the phases of "Copying Windows files", "Expanding Windows files", et cetera, and got hung up on the last step. Eventually (after about 20 minutes) it got through them and I went through the initial setup and when it got to the desktop, the computer locked up and bluescreened. I hit reset and it went into "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" before booting up. It went through that, seemed to do okay and then bluescreened before it got to the desktop. Okay, I thought, I could probably do for an upgrade anyway. I got one of the 2tb drives, replaced the 500gb and started over. Fresh install, got to the desktop, started installing drivers. While it was doing the motherboard disk (amd drivers, audio drivers), the hard drive started making weird clicking noises and the pc locked up again. It would make a gear-type sound every 10 seconds or so and I could tell it wasn't doing any kind of processing.

Okay, I thought, faulty hard drive maybe. Went back to Best Buy, switched it out for another, came home and started attempt #3. This one went even better. Everything installed fine and I got to the point where I downloaded Chrome, Steam and CoreTemp (processor was idling around 22c, if that matters). Talking to my buddy on steam chat (not downloading or installing anything), Steam locked up but it only lasted a few seconds. Talking to my buddy some more, the whole system locked up and explorer stopped responding. It came back after a few seconds and I tried to go into the AMD panel and it wouldn't open, saying that it needed .net framework 4.0 or better, so I went to Google to find that and installed those, then Windows told me updates were ready to install so I said okay, restarted. It literally installed 126 windows updates. After restarting (that took about 15 minutes to install the updates) it went through another hard disk recovery thing, then it went into the windows recovery screen before starting up (where you choose to repair your installation, restore an old point, do a memory check.)

Recovery point doesn't work and the drive repair doesn't work (it gives a memory error - the menu also has a memory checker, which I ran twice and both times it said the memory was fine).

Sorry for all of that but I explained everything so nothing would be overlooked. Best Buy's closed now so I can't go switch out this hard drive again but I'm hesitant to because I'm pretty sure something inside this system is killing the drives. Help me out guys! Thanks.
#2donbrifwayPosted 9/11/2013 7:21:25 PM
make sure you have the most recent drivers and make sure windows is up to date before downloading and using a bunch of stuff
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#3Grooter(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 7:21:40 PM
I'm stuck in a loop now where it installs Windows, gets hung up on the last step for 30 minutes, and then comes back with "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."
#4Grooter(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 7:26:08 PM
donbrifway posted...
make sure you have the most recent drivers and make sure windows is up to date before downloading and using a bunch of stuff

It wasn't until attempt #3 that I even had an opportunity to do that. The first two didn't make it that far. Since they were all three fresh installs and the last two were on brand new hard drives, I really think one of the other components is killing all these hard drives. This is getting very frustrating (and expensive).
#5donbrifwayPosted 9/11/2013 7:28:26 PM
the only thing that looks like it could cause a problem would be the power supply
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#6NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 7:31:39 PM
sure it was the HDD clicking and not fan or PSU?

anyway, you said you got a blue screen of death.

BSOD is recorded in eventvwr.msc, run it from the Start search field

look for fatal system errors, copy and paste into google and try to find an answer

you can also uncheck Automatically restart in system properties and check write event to system log

nexttime it BSODs it will write a dmp, you can debug that to fault find the prob (needs expertise).
#7Treason686Posted 9/11/2013 7:34:41 PM
donbrifway posted...
the only thing that looks like it could cause a problem would be the power supply

Yes, your build is "obliterating" hard drives. Ridiculous. I'm sure every one of those drives is fine.

Replace the PSU because it's garbage. If the problem persists, look to the motherboard.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#8NingishzidaPosted 9/11/2013 7:35:30 PM
Grooter posted...
I'm stuck in a loop now where it installs Windows, gets hung up on the last step for 30 minutes, and then comes back with "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

oh, i missed this post. well that msg also indicates BSOD.

could be faulty or overheating CPU or other component, who knows if you can't check eventvwr.msc...
#9Grooter(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 8:45:54 PM
Will replace the power supply tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks guys.