This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Highest end GPU my CPU can go with without bottlenecking?

#1KabtheMentatPosted 9/12/2013 1:09:04 AM
I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz quad core. My current GPU is a Sapphire 7850 2GB OC I bought several months ago. It's pretty decent, IMO.

Main reason I'm asking is because I would really like to play 64 player servers at 1920x1080 in BF4 at something like at least medium graphics settings. I can do that now with what I have in BF3, but sometimes I get dips into the 40s when playing the big ass maps with lots of players in BF3...and I have my settings mostly at medium, with textures at high.

Anyway, I'd like to know because DICE released system requirements and I meet all of them for the recommended specs except for the GPU and Win8. And I'd like to hold off having to buy a new CPU for as long as I can because I'm going to have to get a new motherboard no matter what I go with...which also means a new Windows copy, as my motherboard is an older AM3 board.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/12/2013 2:14:02 AM
I was in a similar position. I have the i5-760 which is a CPU from that same generation and with very comparable performance. I think the i5-760 is a little better but not by much.

I decided that I thought the GTX 760 is probably as high as I want to go GPU-wise, because for anything beyond that, I feel my build would be too imbalanced and it would be waste. The GTX 770 is the absolute most that I think I would be able to get away with without running into that wall. For the Phenom II X4 965, I think it would be similar. (the AMD equivalent in terms of performance to the GTX 760 is something like the HD 7950).
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3Reaper_MinionPosted 9/12/2013 3:17:53 AM
GTX 770, but in that case you should get the 4GB version. The Gigabyte 4GB version has a nice price tag on it.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#4KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 4:03:28 AM
I've heard from a few people that a 7870 is about the highest I could go with my CPU. So I'm not sure.

The card I'm probably aiming for might be a 7950 or a 7970. Would be nice to get a high end Nvidia, but they're too pricey IMO and I don't really give a **** about PhysX.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#5MasterDonGeroPosted 9/12/2013 4:04:14 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Main reason I'm asking is because I would really like to play 64 player servers at 1920x1080 in BF4 at something like at least medium graphics settings. I can do that now with what I have in BF3, but sometimes I get dips into the 40s when playing the big ass maps with lots of players in BF3...and I have my settings mostly at medium, with textures at high.

That's because of your CPU, in case you were wondering.

Anyway, I'd like to know because DICE released system requirements and I meet all of them for the recommended specs except for the GPU and Win8. And I'd like to hold off having to buy a new CPU for as long as I can because I'm going to have to get a new motherboard no matter what I go with...which also means a new Windows copy, as my motherboard is an older AM3 board.

And you don't meet the CPU requirement of "AMD Six-Core" or "Intel Quad-Core" either.

Try OCing your CPU and GPU to see how your performance is affected. I'd start with the CPU, make sure it's stable, and see how BF3 64-player at medium runs.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#6KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 4:16:46 AM(edited)
MasterDonGero posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Okay, so what would happen if I went with something like a i5-4670 or a FX-8350 with my current GPU? I'd say on medium settings in BF3 on the large maps I get an average of 55-60FPS, with highs into the 120s and lows into the 40s at 1080p.

Oh, as for overclocking, I have no idea how to do any of that. I have my GPU up a little bit from the CCC, but the CPU is whatever it was set at when I put it in. Besides, I don't have a very good cooler and my PSU is a 500W.
---
Skillz Ferguson
#7Solid_FakePosted 9/12/2013 4:34:42 AM
Your processor isn't really going to bottleneck anything, unless you plan on doing SLI or you get a Titan.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#8crawdadPosted 9/12/2013 4:45:33 AM
Well I can Ultra BF3 with about 45 FPS average And i have an OC'd 560 and a i7 920@ 2.67, I'm sure I'll at least be able ti High BF4, if your parts are comparable i doubt you'll have any issues. Just compare the recommended requirements for the new BF and see where you fall there.

right now the only part I'm down is a much lower VRAM Card, instead of the recommended 3GB I have 1250MB, eerything else I pass on, so there's my "bottleneck" i suppose.
---
Spit in the face of life and have a good day out of sheer f****** spite!
GT:Gojirra PSN Gojirra102 steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/12/2013 4:58:43 AM(edited)
GeForce FX 5800.

Seriously, though, it's completely dependent on the software. I wouldn't advise much more than a GTX660 for a CPU like that, though.

KabtheMentat posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Okay, so what would happen if I went with something like a i5-4670 or a FX-8350 with my current GPU? I'd say on medium settings in BF3 on the large maps I get an average of 55-60FPS, with highs into the 120s and lows into the 40s at 1080p.

Oh, as for overclocking, I have no idea how to do any of that. I have my GPU up a little bit from the CCC, but the CPU is whatever it was set at when I put it in. Besides, I don't have a very good cooler and my PSU is a 500W.

500w is a lot more than you need for a mild Phenom II OC and a 7850.
As for performance, similar average, better lows. You can use performance monitoring tools like MSI Afterburner to see how much the game is depending on your GPU. If your GPU usage is less than 95%, your CPU is affecting performance.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#10MasterDonGeroPosted 9/12/2013 7:12:03 AM(edited)
Solid_Fake posted...
Your processor isn't really going to bottleneck anything, unless you plan on doing SLI or you get a Titan.

Have you not played BF3's 64-player multiplayer?

Also, TC, check this: http://chipreviews.com/main-feature/main-news/battlefield-3-revisited/

What I don't like about this one is that SLI could be affecting the minimum frames. They really should have used a single GPU.

Actually, it's pretty useless, now that I think about it.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom