This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free software to auto control fan speed for my desktop?

#1HaxnStashPosted 9/12/2013 6:49:34 AM
I have 6 120 mm fans on my desktop. 2 fans that suck out air on the rear, 1 fan that sucks out air on top, 2 intake at the front, and 1 intake at the side directly on the GPU and CPU. Because of this, my computer's dust filters easily fills with dust and so is the inside of it. I have to clean the filters inside at least once a week or so to keep the inside clean.

The fans are directly connected to the PSu so they're running at 100% speed all the time. Is there any free software that auto regulates fan speed depending on the temperature and load?

Thank you in advance.
#2MasterDonGeroPosted 9/12/2013 6:51:41 AM
Not if they're connected to the PSU.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#3SinisterSlayPosted 9/12/2013 6:51:47 AM
Clean your room.

My computer sits in a dust filled mess on the carpet (old shag carpet) and still manages to stay clean, so yours must be unimaginably dirty.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4LusoryPrimePosted 9/12/2013 6:54:25 AM
If you want software control you'll have to connect them to the fan headers on your motherboard. Connecting them directly to the PSU will bypass any ability for software to control it (unless there is a PSU with an IC and a data connection to the mobo I'm unaware of...).

Once you do that you can use speedfan to control the fans. Simply go to the advanced menu and set them to "Software controlled" and you're set.
---
PSN ID: Lusory_Prime | Steam: LusoryPrime
#5HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 6:55:52 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Clean your room.

My computer sits in a dust filled mess on the carpet (old shag carpet) and still manages to stay clean, so yours must be unimaginably dirty.

Actually, it's in the living room and it's always clean. I'm a neat freak. That's why I take the time to clean the inside of my desktop once a week or so.

My nephew's desktop only has 1 fan, it sucks air out and he has never cleaned it for years. I thought it was full of dust when it suddenly kept shutting down. But when I checked inside, no dust whatsoever and if there was, it's very little that it didn't matter. So I figured, it must be because I have too many fans running at full speed.
#6HaxnStash(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:01:12 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I tried to connect the fans directly to the motherboard but I remember there not having enough room for 6 so I decided to just connect them directly to the psu. I also remember that the fan's cords were not long enough to connect them neatly. I'll check again and see if I remember correctly.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 9/12/2013 7:07:15 AM
HaxnStash posted...
Thanks for the replies, I think I tried to connect the fans directly to the motherboard but I remember there not having enough room for 6 so I decided to just connect them directly to the psu. I also remember that the fan's cords were not long enough to connect them neatly. I'll check again and see if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure if you can do this but, you might be able to connect your fans together, then to the mobo fan controls.

I currently have all my fans strung together, and then connected to the GPU fan, so when the GPU fan speeds up, all my fans do. But I only have 3 case fans. (1 side, 2 rear)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8LusoryPrimePosted 9/12/2013 12:41:33 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
HaxnStash posted...

I'm not sure if you can do this but, you might be able to connect your fans together, then to the mobo fan controls.

I currently have all my fans strung together, and then connected to the GPU fan, so when the GPU fan speeds up, all my fans do. But I only have 3 case fans. (1 side, 2 rear)

You can definitely use Fan Y-splitters to do this. Naturally the connected fans will have the same power modulation applied to them (unless you use an in-line resistor on one and not the other) but that can be desirable in many cases like for dual/quad radiator fans or multiple intakes.
---
#9WerdnAndreWPosted 9/12/2013 1:06:57 PM
Motherboard headers are not meant to power a bunch of fans. You would have to find out how many watts (or amps) your mobo header supports.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#10LusoryPrimePosted 9/12/2013 1:54:22 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
Motherboard headers are not meant to power a bunch of fans. You would have to find out how many watts (or amps) your mobo header supports.

It should be fine unless you're using very high power fans like 4000 RPM Deltas or something. Most headers can output 1A safely which can support 2-4 normal case fans.
---