This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$1000 to build a gaming PC

#21NicodimusPosted 9/12/2013 11:05:34 AM
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...
I think we're kind of splitting hairs here, for the most part. I'm trying to make a build with somewhat quality parts without spending a ton, so it all depends how you weigh cost vs quality. For example, I will take a $25 dollar ASUS DVD drive over a no-name $15 drive every day of the week. I know ASUS generally stands behind its products and has a certain standard of quality. Taking a chance that something might crap out is not worth $10 to me. Same thing with the RAM, really. I'd rather go with something I trust for slightly more money. If I was trying to run the price all the way up to $999 I'm sure I could get it there with a bigger PSU or HDD, but most people would be pleased to pay a little less than they expected and still have it do what they expected. <shrug>

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1CXej

Who says you have to sacrifice quality? And Samsung is a no-name brand ODD for $10 less???

It's kind of an unspoken rule in building that you're going to use parts that you have had a good personal experience with. I will always choose Corsair RAM and PSUs for example, because that's what I have and am familiar with. I have a Samsung TV, and it's nice but I have absolutely no idea if they make decent disc drives or not. It's not worth $10 to me to find out, especially when I'm already coming in comfortably under budget.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#22gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 11:09:44 AM
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...
I think we're kind of splitting hairs here, for the most part. I'm trying to make a build with somewhat quality parts without spending a ton, so it all depends how you weigh cost vs quality. For example, I will take a $25 dollar ASUS DVD drive over a no-name $15 drive every day of the week. I know ASUS generally stands behind its products and has a certain standard of quality. Taking a chance that something might crap out is not worth $10 to me. Same thing with the RAM, really. I'd rather go with something I trust for slightly more money. If I was trying to run the price all the way up to $999 I'm sure I could get it there with a bigger PSU or HDD, but most people would be pleased to pay a little less than they expected and still have it do what they expected. <shrug>

Who says you have to sacrifice quality? And Samsung is a no-name brand ODD for $10 less???

It's kind of an unspoken rule in building that you're going to use parts that you have had a good personal experience with. I will always choose Corsair RAM and PSUs for example, because that's what I have and am familiar with. I have a Samsung TV, and it's nice but I have absolutely no idea if they make decent disc drives or not. It's not worth $10 to me to find out, especially when I'm already coming in comfortably under budget.

So basically, you're willing to overpay just for the brand name, even though there are cheaper alternatives that are equally as good of a choice. I guess. Shrug.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#23NicodimusPosted 9/12/2013 11:16:44 AM
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...

So basically, you're willing to overpay just for the brand name, even though there are cheaper alternatives that are equally as good of a choice. I guess. Shrug.

Pay special attention to the part in bold.

If I'm over budget and I have to cut corners somewhere, and it's not going to be my PC, sure, I will throw in some cheaper parts and hope they work, but that is not the situation with this build, and it's not my starting point. I'm $73 under budget here.
---
#24gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 11:33:13 AM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Pay special attention to the part in bold.

If I'm over budget and I have to cut corners somewhere, and it's not going to be my PC, sure, I will throw in some cheaper parts and hope they work, but that is not the situation with this build, and it's not my starting point. I'm $73 under budget here.

The cheaper parts I chose have as much of a chance of working as the more expensive parts you chose. This does not change just because you have no experience with those brands. Fact is, you can put together a better build than the one you suggested and still come in just as much under budget. That's my point.

Edit: For example, this build is just as much under budget and will play games better. And ni, the parts aren't of less quality than the ones you chose.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1CXPi
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
#25NicodimusPosted 9/12/2013 11:33:15 AM(edited)
gastaman posted...
The cheaper parts I chose have as much of a chance of working as the more expensive parts you chose. This does not change just because you have no experience with those brands. Fact is, you can put together a better build than the one you suggested and still come in just as much under budget. That's my point.

Well, that's where we're going to have to agree to disagree, for two reasons.

#1 With electronics, although there is some fluctuation in value, you generally get what you pay for.

and

#2 The price differences are so insignificant that it's not really even worth talking about. If an ASUS drive was $60 and a Samsung drive was $20, it might be worth doing a few minutes of research on the Samsung drives to see why it was so much cheaper, if there were any limitations, if it had a bad history of breakdowns, etc. That's not the case here, though. They are nearly the same price. $8 in a $1000 build is nothing to waste time agonizing over.

---
#26gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 11:38:42 AM
1. And then there are cases like Bose and Beats, where you are definitely paying more just for the brand name. The parts I chose are just as good as the ones you did.

2. Except, between all the parts, the money saved is enough to get a better GPU, as little (~$30) as the savings are from choosing a different ODD and RAM. So for the same price, you're getting an ODD and RAM that are just as good, maintaining the cost, but getting a much better GPU. Why not get the most out of your money, instead of wasting it on brand loyalty?
---
#27NicodimusPosted 9/12/2013 11:50:18 AM
gastaman posted...
1. And then there are cases like Bose and Beats, where you are definitely paying more just for the brand name. The parts I chose are just as good as the ones you did.

2. Except, between all the parts, the money saved is enough to get a better GPU, as little (~$30) as the savings are from choosing a different ODD and RAM. So for the same price, you're getting an ODD and RAM that are just as good, maintaining the cost, but getting a much better GPU. Why not get the most out of your money, instead of wasting it on brand loyalty?

What exactly is your problem with brand loyalty, especially when the price difference is negligible? I'd agree that it IS stupid if you're buying something that costs double what it's worth. However, brand loyalty doesn't appear out of thin air, either. Companies that make things that you know first-hand work well gain more of your confidence. That's not blind loyalty, it's earned loyalty. Why are you so opposed to the idea when the prices are almost the same?

Do you automatically throw in the cheapest parts you can? Of course you don't. You recommend things that you know either have a good reputation or that you've used yourself. This is natural, and as long as there's not much of a price difference, there's not really anything wrong with it. If people all had the same experiences, every build would be identical.
---
#28gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 12:01:19 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...

What exactly is your problem with brand loyalty, especially when the price difference is negligible? I'd agree that it IS stupid if you're buying something that costs double what it's worth. However, brand loyalty doesn't appear out of thin air, either. Companies that make things that you know first-hand work well gain more of your confidence. That's not blind loyalty, it's earned loyalty. Why are you so opposed to the idea when the prices are almost the same?

Do you automatically throw in the cheapest parts you can? Of course you don't. You recommend things that you know either have a good reputation or that you've used yourself. This is natural, and as long as there's not much of a price difference, there's not really anything wrong with it. If people all had the same experiences, every build would be identical.

I have nothing against brand loyalty. Have you seen my build? I definitely overpaid on parts, in some part, because of brand.

And yes, I recommend brands with a good reputation or parts that have received favorable professional reviews. My point is, is that while your build works, it can definitely be made better, without sacrificing cost or quality. I'm just trying to make suggestions that will yield the best performance for the money.

You just seem to be disagreeing with me, stating the parts I chose are somehow of lower quality cause they don't cost as much or because you have no experience with those brands. I'm just trying to point out that they aren't, and by choosing those parts, you can actually free up funds to improve other areas of the build without sacrificing quality.
---
#29NicodimusPosted 9/12/2013 1:25:49 PM
gastaman posted...
Why not get the most out of your money, instead of wasting it on brand loyalty?

gastaman posted...
I have nothing against brand loyalty.

What? Is it a waste, or not?
---
#30gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 1:42:14 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
gastaman posted...
Why not get the most out of your money, instead of wasting it on brand loyalty?

gastaman posted...
I have nothing against brand loyalty.

What? Is it a waste, or not?

It's a waste. The fact that I have nothing against and don't care if someone wants to exhibit brand loyalty does not change the fact that it is a waste if there are cheaper alternatives that possess the same quality.

When I said "Why not get the most out of your money, instead of wasting it on brand loyalty?", I meant it. Unless the person requesting the build specifically states a desired brand, why implement your own personal brand loyalties instead of putting together the best build for the budget, assuming the same quality can be had?

Edit: Also, what part of the statement, "I have nothing against brand loyalty." declares that it isn't a waste???
---