This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$1000 to build a gaming PC

#31_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/12/2013 2:42:59 PM(edited)
I don't think you can make broad generalizations. For example, all non-reference GPU are usually fine, and I have yet to see a brand or particular model that causes any issue.

When it comes to the PSU however, there are large measurable differences between the best that are on the market and the cheap no-name brands, and you would do well to get a decent one even if that does mean you pay a little more.

But there is more to it though. If you find yourself in a situation where you are not sure about the alternative brands that you do not really know, then it makes sense that you are tempted to go for the brand you had good previous experiences with. Also, even after the sale there may be some benefits that are not directly related to he quality of the component itself. Like the customer service and whether it is easy to get them to honor their warranty. Of course, this matters more for components, parts and devices that have a high failure rate, such as notebooks.

So there are a lot of situations where brand loyalty can be meaningful. The kind of brand loyalty that I do not have, is that where people are willing to pay a premium, or do not even consider competing products that are worth considering, either for their quality or for the price or sometimes both.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#32dakondakbladePosted 9/12/2013 2:45:34 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ ( Damn good game btw ) is right on the mark.

You both provided excellent builds within the TC's budget and requirements.

One prefers to use parts they have used in the past ( brand loyalty ) and there is 100% nothing wrong with this. Especially since you come under budget.

The other wants to use parts that offer the best value for that budget. There is also nothing wrong with this.

I'm more inclined to the first one; as I have a few companies I have always bought parts from ( ASUS and XFS being two of them )

I'm also a bit of the second as I heard/read/researched on boards and found out the MSI z87 G65 is a very damn good board and will have all the features I require. So will go with that instead of Asus this time around.

You can have the best of both; and there's no real reason to attack or crticize someone for their view/opinion on it.

Regardless; TC you got some very good info out of this topic; hope it helps you out.
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet
#33gastamanPosted 9/12/2013 2:45:44 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I don't think you can make broad generalizations. For example, all non-reference GPU are usually fine, and I have yet to see a brand or particular model that causes any issue.

When it comes to the PSU however, there are large measurable differences between the best that are on the market and the cheap no-name brands, and you would do well to get a decent one even if that does mean you pay a little more.

But there is more to it though. If you find yourself in a situation where you are not sure about the alternative brands that you do not really know, then it makes sense that you are tempted to go for the brand you had good previous experiences with. Also, even after the sale there may be some benefits that are not directly related to he quality of the component itself. Like the customer service and whether it is easy to get them to honor their warranty. Of course, this matters more for components, parts and devices that have a high failure rate, such as notebooks.

So there are a lot of situations where brand loyalty can be meaningful. The kind of brand loyalty that I do not have, is that where people are willing to pay a premium, or do not even consider competing products that are worth considering, either for their quality or for the price or sometimes both.

I agree. However, the suggestions I have made to improve his build does not, in anyway, substitute his "quality" parts with cheap, no-name parts. I have substituted them with cheaper, "quality" parts. I am not saying grab the cheapest thing possible. I'm just saying that there are cheaper alternatives that have the same quality as the parts he picked available that can be used to free up space to make improvements elsewhere.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200