This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about MMOs and End Game

#1NauticalDisastaPosted 9/12/2013 9:54:47 AM
I'm not an avid MMO player. The most I've ever played was taking a character in Tera to level thirty-something. Some of the things I always hear about pretty much every MMO is "the end game is garbage" or "the end game is to much grinding".

My question is: What is a good end game for an MMO? I've never actually played enough to see the end game of any MMO and I'm genuinely curious. Can you give some examples of current or past MMOs that have a good end game?
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
360/Steam - NauticalDisasta
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/12/2013 9:57:38 AM
Supposedly Tera has a good end game.

I'm lvl 43 right now... the grind to get there is excruciating.

I say, if the game is not fun, don't play it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3matu90rkPosted 9/12/2013 9:58:43 AM
Try Rift, I don't usually like theme-park MMOs but so far I'm having a blast.
#4AllHailTheDead6Posted 9/12/2013 9:59:12 AM
Diablo 2:LoD had the best end game I've ever seen

plenty of things to do once you finish the story and are a high level

you could finish the game around lvl 70-80 but hitting lvl 99 took forever and there was also good gear you can hunt for in the mean time.

It wasn't hard to find something very useful and good but finding that perfect item with the perfect stats and condition could take awhile

also PvP was great and well thought out for being so simple(people came up with a "good mannered" rule set to stop you from being too overpowered to where it wasn't fun(equiping a bunch of elemental absorb gear against a caster was banned)
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*
#5KillerTrufflePosted 9/12/2013 10:02:07 AM
I have never heard of any MMO having a good "end game." And frankly, it wouldn't make sense for any of them to, because "end game" implies that you're effectively finished, and will no longer need to play the game, which means they'll lose your monthly payments. MMOs have lots of motivation to keep you playing as long as possible, which is why so many of them include so much grinding or slow events down to make things take longer, translating to more play time (which is actually just sit and wait time).

Rather than looking at "end game" for MMOs, I'd say look at what gameplay segments are entertaining enough that you don't mind continually going back and playing them. For WoW, that seems to be raids. Guild Wars enjoys good PvP. If you enjoy raiding all the time in WoW, just do it and forget about "end game" stuff. I've never heard of actual end game for MMOs.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6Silent Sniper IVPosted 9/12/2013 12:18:48 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I have never heard of any MMO having a good "end game." And frankly, it wouldn't make sense for any of them to, because "end game" implies that you're effectively finished, and will no longer need to play the game, which means they'll lose your monthly payments.

That's not how the term is used. With MMOS you frequently hear the criticism "the game only starts at endgame.". Think of endgame of the extra stuff you do once you hit level max: raids, pvp, etc.

I think my favorite endgame was probably everquest Velious and PoP. Tons of zones and raids intended for max level characters.

Meanwhile, FF14 which I'm currently playing has a fantastic 1-50 and then a really, really bad endgame. (run a single dungeon 70 times to prepare for the final raid zone).
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned