This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sell Computer for 650 or upgrade?

#1Nightmare2398Posted 9/12/2013 12:52:04 PM
I can either sell my computer for $650 today or wait for a higher bid, or just upgrade the parts, what should i do?

specs:
i5-3570k
8gb ram
MSI 7850 OC
HAF 922
1TB WD Black
intel mobo

if i upgrade i'd be getting a new mobo, graphics card (or 2), case, and possibly PSU and an SSD, and im not sure how easy it will be to sell those individually in my area (dont really want to ebay them)

Advice?
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#2cuteboi100Posted 9/12/2013 1:02:22 PM
Add up all your parts' worth and if it's a reasonable price then do it. Especially if you want to upgrade a lot.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/12/2013 1:25:50 PM
Is your motherboard not a Z68/Z77?
It'd make much more sense to upgrade the GPU, get a good cooler, and overclock it, if you really want better performance.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#4donbrifwayPosted 9/12/2013 1:39:15 PM
What model of motherboard is it?
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#5Gryffindor1Posted 9/12/2013 2:15:10 PM
If you can, just sell the video card and mobo and get new ones. Everything else seems fine.
#6Nightmare2398(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:14:26 PM
It's a z77 mobo, but it's an intel z77SL-50k, and it's... awful.

here is essentially what my options are for this

if i just upgrade

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1D6Ev

if i sell and buy a completely new computer

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1CKIH

actually it's looking a lot better to sell it now, as the difference is less than 400 and i can make 650 from selling it... as opposed to saving 400 selling off the rest of the parts, which might be hard, unless i've fudged something in the part list?
---
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#7Nightmare2398(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:23:41 PM(edited)
also this is essentially my computer now, just the mobo is different, but it's about the same price as the one i had (they dont make it anymore)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1D6VF
---
#8BowsaaPosted 9/12/2013 7:29:04 PM
You should definitely just get a mobo and a 7970. There's no reason to dump that computer instead of just upgrading, it's a waste of money. New case+SSD if you want, but still, no reason to sell it to rebuy almost the same thing.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#9Nightmare2398(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:38:57 PM
Bowsaa posted...
You should definitely just get a mobo and a 7970. There's no reason to dump that computer instead of just upgrading, it's a waste of money. New case+SSD if you want, but still, no reason to sell it to rebuy almost the same thing.

well i posted the two pages with upgraded parts and with a complete rebuild. the only things i would reuse are ram, CPU, and the HDD. I need a new mobo and case, that's not debatable. i dont NEED a new graphics card, but i'm also getting a 1440p monitor, and i want to go SLI 760s to make full use of it (and as of right now the newest games kind of struggle with a 7850).

so basically new case, graphics cards, SSD, and mobo. i dont NEED a new psu, but i would like some room for overclocking, otherwise i could save 100 right there.
---
#10donbrifwayPosted 9/12/2013 7:45:14 PM
If you're going to spend $1200 in upgrades just build a new computer.
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway