This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could someone give me a rundown on capture cards please?

#1MegawizardPosted 9/12/2013 3:20:40 PM
Like are they purely for only recording whatever feed is being given to them as it happens to be saved/edited/whatever later, or would it actually be possible to do something crazy like hook my SNES into one and have it displayed in a window to stream in realtime? I have 0 experience with them and what they're capable of, so I figure it can't hurt to ask. That 2nd scenario is pretty much the only reason I can see myself getting one for the sake of plugging my older consoles into since the old wires just do not have the length. And in a lot of instances, emulation isn't an option due to whatever errors causing less than ideal display results.
---
^( ' ' )^
#2daemon_danPosted 9/12/2013 3:25:24 PM
If you can hook the SNES up correctly to the card, I think recording might be an option. Pretty sure streaming is not but I could be wrong. As for emulation, what the hell are you doing that causes "less than ideal display results?" o.O I emulate everything up to PS2, and I'm planning to emulate wii, and the display results are often far better than on native hardware
---
Bekness is more amazing than any game ever <3
#3Lord_XandrosPosted 9/12/2013 3:37:29 PM
I have an EasyCap, and when the TV is being stolen, I plug up my PS2 and open it up on VLC and play it like that.

Using streaming software like OBS or FFsplit can be done by selecting the capture device inside the application.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/
#4Megawizard(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 3:48:13 PM
daemon_dan posted...
As for emulation, what the hell are you doing that causes "less than ideal display results?" o.O I emulate everything up to PS2, and I'm planning to emulate wii, and the display results are often far better than on native hardware

It's purely graphical. I know Battletoads is fine up until the one stage when everything looks like a mosaic, and with Mischief Makers & SSSV several effects are invisible. I'm thinking it's the actual emulation software disagreeing with it, but I haven't bothered screwing with different programs.

Lord_Xandros posted...
I have an EasyCap, and when the TV is being stolen, I plug up my PS2 and open it up on VLC and play it like that.

Using streaming software like OBS or FFsplit can be done by selecting the capture device inside the application.

Oh cool; didn't think something that simple would work! Thanks a bunch. :)

If anyone knows of any others that may appeal, feel free to list them off! It's for my tower, so a more permanent installation of a card would work as well (and reduces the amount of wires I have floating around).
---
^( ' ' )^
#5Lord_XandrosPosted 9/12/2013 4:57:45 PM
Oh yeah, I only mentioned EasyCap because it cost 6 and worked nicely to transfer some old camcorder videos to my PC. I don't recommend it since it's low quality and overheats quickly. You get what you pay for.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/