This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please help!

#1hamchunkPosted 9/12/2013 7:13:35 PM
Ever since I downloaded the original Crysis I've been having errors with older games released around the same time. They wont start and give the error "C:\windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9_37.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." along with "Error status 0xc000012f".

I did have some issues with my system stability when I first built it but it's been fine lately and most games work fine. My first thought was to reinstall direct x but it just says there's a current or newer version present. I googled the problem and tried manually replacing the dll but that didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Like I said, most games work great but I'd really like to play Crysis, Burnout Paradise and Mirrors Edge...

My system

Windows 8 64 bit
i5 3570
8 gig ram
gtx 660ti
all drivers up to date

Please help!
---
Over the top!
Live: Hamchunk PSN: Hamchunk 81
#2Nightmare2398Posted 9/12/2013 7:20:17 PM
sounds like you need to reinstall directx possibly?
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#3fataliPosted 9/12/2013 7:25:57 PM
Open a command window with administrator rights, then use the following command: SFC /SCANNOW

It should check and repair any system files that are corrupted, that d3d9_37.dll file is one of them.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:49:48 PM
Cool, thank you! How do I open a command prompt with admin privileges? Will it work if I just do the normal 'cmd' search and use the command prompt from there?
Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff...
---
Over the top!
#5hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 7:52:11 PM
Nightmare.... dude I tried that, the directx installer just tells me I already have a current version and won't do anything.
---
Over the top!
#6hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 8:01:01 PM
Looks like I can use the search function and then just right click and select 'run as administrator' from there. Thank you so much! I'll update tomorrow after I have a chance to test this out.
---
Over the top!
#7hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 12:54:47 PM
Ok, so I ran 'sfc /scannow' and it reported that some errors couldn't be repaired. After some intense googling I found out about the 'Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' command. I tired that and it reported that all corrupted files were repaired! I rebooted my pc and ran 'sfc /scannow' again just to be sure and it reported that no corruption was found!
Now I eagerly started Crysis and.... THE SAME DAMN .DLL ERROR!

Everything I've read points to me needing a Windows refresh or maybe a clean install. I really don't want to lose anything, is there any other method anyone might have heard of that I can try short of a fresh Windows install?
---
Over the top!
#8hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 3:30:05 PM
bump
---
Over the top!
#9greenyoshi46Posted 9/14/2013 3:43:15 PM
hamchunk posted...
bump

Have you searched the dll online? look for it using google on microsoft sitws
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#10hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 4:29:04 PM
I have searched for it and I already tried to manually replace the file but it didn't seem to have any effect. From what I can tell it's a DirectX 9 file so only a few games have the error but it just bothers me that it doesn't work. I might try a Windows refresh if I can't get anything else to work.
---
Over the top!