This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please help!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Please help!

User Info: hamchunk

hamchunk
3 years ago#1
Ever since I downloaded the original Crysis I've been having errors with older games released around the same time. They wont start and give the error "C:\windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9_37.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." along with "Error status 0xc000012f".

I did have some issues with my system stability when I first built it but it's been fine lately and most games work fine. My first thought was to reinstall direct x but it just says there's a current or newer version present. I googled the problem and tried manually replacing the dll but that didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Like I said, most games work great but I'd really like to play Crysis, Burnout Paradise and Mirrors Edge...

My system

Windows 8 64 bit
i5 3570
8 gig ram
gtx 660ti
all drivers up to date

Please help!
Over the top!
Live: Hamchunk PSN: Hamchunk 81

User Info: Nightmare2398

Nightmare2398
3 years ago#2
sounds like you need to reinstall directx possibly?
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)

User Info: fatali

fatali
3 years ago#3
Open a command window with administrator rights, then use the following command: SFC /SCANNOW

It should check and repair any system files that are corrupted, that d3d9_37.dll file is one of them.
Mystery is the source of all true science.

hamchunk
3 years ago#4
Cool, thank you! How do I open a command prompt with admin privileges? Will it work if I just do the normal 'cmd' search and use the command prompt from there?
Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff...
Over the top!

hamchunk
3 years ago#5
Nightmare.... dude I tried that, the directx installer just tells me I already have a current version and won't do anything.
Over the top!

hamchunk
3 years ago#6
Looks like I can use the search function and then just right click and select 'run as administrator' from there. Thank you so much! I'll update tomorrow after I have a chance to test this out.
Over the top!

hamchunk
3 years ago#7
Ok, so I ran 'sfc /scannow' and it reported that some errors couldn't be repaired. After some intense googling I found out about the 'Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' command. I tired that and it reported that all corrupted files were repaired! I rebooted my pc and ran 'sfc /scannow' again just to be sure and it reported that no corruption was found!
Now I eagerly started Crysis and.... THE SAME DAMN .DLL ERROR!

Everything I've read points to me needing a Windows refresh or maybe a clean install. I really don't want to lose anything, is there any other method anyone might have heard of that I can try short of a fresh Windows install?
Over the top!

hamchunk
3 years ago#8
bump
Over the top!

User Info: greenyoshi46

greenyoshi46
3 years ago#9
hamchunk posted...
bump

Have you searched the dll online? look for it using google on microsoft sitws
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)

hamchunk
3 years ago#10
I have searched for it and I already tried to manually replace the file but it didn't seem to have any effect. From what I can tell it's a DirectX 9 file so only a few games have the error but it just bothers me that it doesn't work. I might try a Windows refresh if I can't get anything else to work.
Over the top!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Please help!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived