This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Enabling google play on an HP tablet?

#1DisastersaurusPosted 9/13/2013 4:59:54 AM
So my nephew got an HP tablet for his birthday and his parents are trying to find out how to enable minecraft's portable version on it. They've asked me to look into it, but I'm stumped. Whenever I try to load up google play, it basically says you need the android operating system or something like that. Is there a way to get google play games to work on non-Androids, or are we SOL here?
---
hella butts
#2ShubPosted 9/13/2013 5:01:39 AM
Which HP tablet is it? Is it the Touchpad that was discontinued a while back? It's compatible with Android but it doesn't run Android out of the box.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 5:09:54 AM(edited)
Shub posted...
Which HP tablet is it? Is it the Touchpad that was discontinued a while back? It's compatible with Android but it doesn't run Android out of the box.

It's this model:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/hp-palms-9-7-inch-topaz-tablet-to-use-1-2ghz-qualcomm-msm8660/

Edit: My bad, it's the topaz
---
hella butts
#4ShubPosted 9/13/2013 5:08:55 AM
You can put CyanogenMod on it then. Look into that. But it is as I said: out of the box, the Touchpad does not run Android, it runs WebOS, but it is compatible with Android.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 5:10:19 AM
Shub posted...
You can put CyanogenMod on it then. Look into that. But it is as I said: out of the box, the Touchpad does not run Android, it runs WebOS, but it is compatible with Android.

My bad, it's the topaz, this model:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/hp-palms-9-7-inch-topaz-tablet-to-use-1-2ghz-qualcomm-msm8660/

Same thing, or?
---
hella butts
#6ShubPosted 9/13/2013 5:25:43 AM
No clue, never heard of the Topaz. See what Google says!
---
-What is best in life?
#7El MagnificoPosted 9/13/2013 5:34:04 AM
Topaz was the codename for the HP TouchPad.
#8Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 7:50:25 PM
okay I'm having no luck getting android on this thing, it seems way too complex for me. Whenever I try to install that mod, it says 'MIME not compatible' or something

Then I tried to put android on it, but it wanted me to transfer a bunch of files and the links were broken x_x
---
hella butts
#9TimePharaohPosted 9/13/2013 7:56:14 PM
Your initial post confuses me. Why would you be able to run android apps without android? That's like buying IOS apps on a Windows phone....
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10josh_bPosted 9/13/2013 8:14:02 PM
Those tablets come with WebOS which is HP's operating system which is no longer being produced.

I bought one during a fire sale awhile back and installed android on the system which in turns lets you use the play store.

just look up youtube videos on how to install android on the tablet or go to XDA developers website which is what i used to get the system up and running android. It's not just a simple cut and paste job to get it up and running and it helps if you have had prior experience with android and installing custom roms and such.

good luck.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585