This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When adding a steam game. Can you add its store front page?

#1DARQ MXPosted 9/13/2013 9:11:59 AM
Just wondering. It would be kind of cool, that way any games you don't buy off steam and only get through Origin or something you can still see future DLCs, your friends can see you have the game etc.

I was wondering if I could put this key into steam when I bought it off GMG but not sure, cause origin came up and the game is ON steam for buy too.
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#2MonkeymagePosted 9/13/2013 9:17:08 AM
EA keys for games bought outside of Steam don't activate on Steam and they never have.

You can add a non-Steam game to your Library but it's really for your tracking purposes only. Friends can see when you're playing a non-Steam game but it won't be recognized as part of your Library to your friends who are looking at your profile.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3KillerTrufflePosted 9/13/2013 9:27:01 AM
Monkeymage posted...
EA keys for games bought outside of Steam don't activate on Steam and they never have.

You can add a non-Steam game to your Library but it's really for your tracking purposes only. Friends can see when you're playing a non-Steam game but it won't be recognized as part of your Library to your friends who are looking at your profile.

So the EA games everyone bought during the Humble Bundle a few weeks ago didn't actually unlock on Steam? Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Burnout Paradise, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, etc. *didn't* actually unlock on Steam? Cuz if not, that's a whole hell of a lot of confused people out there hallucinating that they did.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4MonkeymagePosted 9/13/2013 4:30:32 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Monkeymage posted...

So the EA games everyone bought during the Humble Bundle a few weeks ago didn't actually unlock on Steam? Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Burnout Paradise, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, etc. *didn't* actually unlock on Steam? Cuz if not, that's a whole hell of a lot of confused people out there hallucinating that they did.

Hi friend. I said that EA keys do not activate on Steam. What the Humble Bundle provided were Steam copies of EA games. Two different things. If you were to buy a retail copy of an EA game, or buy an EA game on Amazon, unless it SPECIFICALLY TELLS YOU that you are purchasing a Steam copy, the key that you receive will not activate on Steam.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 7:03:32 PM
Well yeah. I added it but you get nothing from it. Other than being able to launch it, and than of course Origin pops up.
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#6Majoras_pantsPosted 9/13/2013 11:52:57 PM
No, it wont recognize the game and match it to the steam copy.

It would be a nice feature though. I was thinking about that the other day. If the name matches a game in the store it could attach the info that shows up in your library. Maybe one day.