This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you know how to program?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you know how to program?
3 years ago#1
What language(s)? And why did you want to learn it/them?
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
3 years ago#2
I've programmed in C++ and Matlab because I had to for my degree.
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
3 years ago#3
I've had several HTML and Javascript classes. It's my speciality.
3 years ago#4
Learned to script in MS-DOS back when I was a kid, it made managing various memory configs (EMS, XMS, Himem, that stuff) for gaming on 640kb much easier.

Learned C++ in college due to course requirements, never used it again.

Learned Linux shell scripting also in college but that was out of personal interest, I still use it from time to time.

Learned T-SQL at my first real job because it was either learn it or be stuck doing desktop support. This is now one of my strongest assets and I use it all day, every day.

Learned Perl, more specifically the AWK subset, at the same job to make my life easier. I had lots of log files and automated processes with text output I needed to parse, AWK made this quite easy to do so programmatically.

Learned VBA at my current job and it's cool, pretty straightforward and I can get a lot done using it. I feel pretty good about some of my creations and the calculated ROI they've provided.

Learning C# and Python right now for personal enrichment... just hard to find the time to do this while still trying to maintain card-carrying full time gamer status.

So yeah I guess I can program at various levels of competence and quality... folks who say "scripting isn't programming!" can stuff it for all I care.
3 years ago#5
I wish. I just don't have the patience nor the intelligence to learn programming.
3 years ago#6
First language I learned was TI-BASIC back in high school. I taught it to myself by fooling around on my calculator. Made a text version of blackjack.

Now I know C, C++, and Java. Im taking CS.
Posted using GameFlux
3 years ago#7
What I use frequently: C++ (by extension some C), Perl, SQL, bash/shell
I used to do: JAVA
I now a little: python

We did c++ and java for school, and while I liked java at the time, I learned to appreciate c++ so it's what I use the most now.

Perl/SQL/bash is used for my job since it's essentially a very large database company.

python was useful for doing some light scripting on the side and during an optional online course I took
"The car in my battery died??? wtf" - Richie259
3 years ago#8
Yes I know how to program.

And in pretty much any modern language as most are very similar to each other.
Plus COBOL :D
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
3 years ago#9
Let's see...

IIRC, my first programming language was a form of Basic a very long time ago. It was in a program that was designed to teach programming fundamentals for little small games, so I don't really remember much of it. My parents got me that because I wanted to learn how to make games.

My second "programming" language was the scripting language in Starsiege: Tribes (probably called something like "C script" since the extension was .cs). Eventually I learned the Tribes 2 variant as well. I learned that because I was still interested in making games and so I modded a bit on Tribes to try out switching up rules on an already made game.

Torque (the engine of Tribes 2) came out for individuals to license, and I decided to do some tinkering with it so I learned a bit of C++, but not enough to matter. Eventually in college I truly learned C++ (or, at least a reasonable subset of the ridiculous language to qualify as having learned it).

I learned Java in high school because that was what was taught. At the end of college, they started switching to teach Java as well.

To write a website for a business I had while I was in high school, I used Javascript. It allowed me to create a pretty impressive (for the time) fully interactive computer ordering system. It took into account things like power supplies (different tiers were needed depending on whether you were just buying a basic computer vs a high speed behemoth with tons of hard drives and a power hungry video card) and case choices based on what your needs (how many hard drive bays/optical bays/etc) were, so that was fun.

To get a leg-up on people in a programming competition class, I learned C and D. D because I could use it similar to Java (garbage collection) simplifying some programs ... and for programs where you get extra credit for being faster than most of the class, I could program it like C and outpace almost everyone. Needless to say I got well more than a 100 in that class and it was a hard (but exceptionally fun, as well) class.

And after I learned a few languages, I found out that every language I learned took significantly less time than the last. So I started accelerating through various languages to get a comprehensive look on all of the various ways to program. I learned Python, LISP, Clojure (immediately after LISP, obviously), Scala, Ruby, Groovy, PHP, Nimrod, C# (it was weird opening a .cs file and not seeing Tribes script code in it), MatLab (for one class), bash, and probably a few more that I've missed.

The only thing I regret is not trying to learn all the languages sooner. That and the fact that my left eye now twitches while I program for some unknown reason.
98% of people copy other people's signatures and paste it as their own.
If you are one of the 2% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
3 years ago#10
I programmed my TV remote the other week.

But seriously, I know some scripting and I've programmed some custom apps for employers. I don't do it for fun, though. Just not my thing.
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you know how to program?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived