This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Still trouble with Word Possessor crashes on changing the font *updated*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 9/13/2013 11:48:50 AM
Old topic that got archived is here, so I can’t post in there, if you want to read what was going wrong, nothing much has changed:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/67138288

I have Windows 7 - Home Premium 64-bit (PS1)

I have scanned and re-scanned and find no spyware/add-ware, so that's good, but I don't know what to do now.

I've tried to uninstall 'Microsoft Works Word Processor' several times complete, restarted PC, used Ccleaner, manual verified no files/folders are on the PC, restart PC and try and re-install it.
*it came on a OEM/CD with Microsoft Money*

But I still can’t touch fonts or the program crashes, nor can I print from the program either.
*I’ve even uninstalled and reinstalled my printer software/drivers, only using this program, I can’t print, but I can print with all other programs on my PC just fine*.

Each time I reinstall the program and try to run ‘Microsoft Works’ shortcut on the desktop and select 'Start a blank word possessor document', I still get the same two odd errors each time.

error 1:
“…C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Works\wkswp.exe
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.…”
*I am the only user/administrator for this PC, so I’m confused, the file is located there*

I then clicked ok, and got the 2nd one below.
“…Microsoft Works
Works cannot access the program you selected. Necessary files may be missing, corrupted, or may have been deleted. To restore the files, reinstall the program, and then try starting the program again. If you no longer use the program, with the right mouse button, click the program name, and then click Delete.…:”
Hu?!

I get both errors, no matter if I try to double click the shortcuts, right click -> ‘Run as administrator’ even if I got to the actual files in the ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Works\’ directory and run the exe files themselves (even tried with compatible mode XP-SP2 and SP3 tried)…still errors.

I then ran the 'WksWP.exe' file (Microsoft Works Word processor (blank text documents) and was able to start up the program just fine....unless I want to change the font or print something.
*I can open/save any *.wps file with no trouble, as long as I leave the font alone and don’t print from the program, I don’t get any errors*

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?
#2Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 11:49:49 AM
It was working just fine before, the only thing I can think of is I tried to install a driver to get my scanner to work, there was no 64-bit drivers for my scanner.

I saw this comment and did it to get it to work:
“…this made it work for me:

1. download the Win 7 x64 driver for the LIDE 25

2. extract the .exe file, then extract the setupSG.exe file (use WinRAR, 7Zip, WinZip, one of those)

3. edit the CNQL25.inf file and make the following changes:

[Models]

%LPTENUM\CNQL25.DeviceDesc%=CNQL25Install,USB\VID_04A9&PID_2220

[Models.NTamd64]

%LPTENUM\CNQL25.DeviceDesc%=CNQL25Install_x64,USB\VID_04a9&PID_2220

change "PID_2220" to "PID_220D" on both sections

save the file. use the device manager to install the driver. point it to the inf file and it should install without problems. choose "install this driver anyway" on the security warning.

this is not a TWAIN driver, that i can find, so it won't work directly from photoshop (at least not the 64-bit PS - i didn't try 32-bit). install the CanoScan Toolbox x64 version that's on the same download page and that should give you scanning functionality.

no need for resource-hogging virtual environments just to run a scanner!

I have since uninstalled the driver and removed it from my PC for the moment.
*I just wanted to get my scanner to work normally, I don’t use it often*

But as to why this MIGHT have done something, I don’t understand.
Doing that effects a program to not print…hu?!

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do, or should do to try and fix this?

Thanks in advance!
---
"Technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who do not understand it."
#3Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 10:53:59 AM
Update:

I'm still having trouble, nothing has changed, but I did find out something interesting.

I started M$ Works Word Processor and typed random words, then highlighted them and right clicked, I selected Fonts, and this is what shows up.
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4201/ka1j.png

Almost like there not there, but other programs can see all the fonts on my PC.

I can't select another font, but was able to type it in, and it showed that font name, but font didn't change that i can tell, and still crashed if I tried to change it the way I did before.

Is this problem related to my fonts or the program itself?
Sometimes it looks like my fonts, but other program can use/change fonts no trouble, so then it looks like the program is at fault....I don't understand this.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on, and why this is?

I'd really like to know how to fix this, please!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#4PolarisPosted 9/16/2013 11:03:00 AM
Which version of MS Works are you using?

Anyway, that software line was discontinued in 2009. Your PC has probably experienced a breaking update sometime since then.
#5Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 4:37:34 PM
Polaris posted...
Which version of MS Works are you using?

Anyway, that software line was discontinued in 2009. Your PC has probably experienced a breaking update sometime since then.

The 'About' only says "Microsoft Works v6.0"
*Still works perfectly on my XP(SP3) OS, I boot to it on occasion.*

So an update might have broken it, anyway to check/fix it?
*I only use it for spelling/grammar checking before I post anything online, I'm a terrible speller*
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only...
#6Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 1:43:36 PM
I guess no-one has had this problem before, or doesn't know what to do?
---
#7wildog2006Posted 9/22/2013 11:27:03 PM
get software that is currently supported?
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#8Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 1:02:40 PM
wildog2006 posted...

Ok, then what software that is currently supported would you suggest I get/use?

I will mostly use it for grammar and spell checking, free would be great also, so please keep that in mind.

+ able to open the *.wps files I currently have is a hopeful, but if I have to, I'll open and save them as text files instead.
---
#9happyscrub1Posted 9/23/2013 1:16:48 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
wildog2006 posted...

I will mostly use it for grammar and spell checking, free would be great also, so please keep that in mind.

+ able to open the *.wps files I currently have is a hopeful, but if I have to, I'll open and save them as text files instead.

Make a college friend and tell them to buy MS office for you on discount. Or just walk into a college store yourself and say you forgot your ID.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#10El MagnificoPosted 9/23/2013 1:42:24 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...

There are some services online that should satisfy your word processing needs. Google offers their Google Docs service where you can create and modify documents from your browser. All you need is a Google account which is the same as your GMail account. If you don't have a GMail account, then you can sign up for one for free.

Microsoft offers web based versions of Word as well as the other basic Office applications that you also access from your browser. If you have a Hotmail account, then you already have access to the Office web apps, otherwise, you can sign up for a free Hotmail account.

If you prefer an offline solution, then there lots of different suites. The most popular one is probably OpenOffice/LibreOffice. If you just want a word processor, then there's AbiWord.

Most of these probably don't support Microsoft Works files so you'll need to convert them first to RTF or some other universally accepted format.