This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do fans always run at the same speeds?

#1LootmanPosted 9/13/2013 11:49:17 AM
Say if you installed a lot of fans, would that make it quieter because it would keep it cool, or would they always spin at the same speed and create more noise?
---
\(._.)/ Kanakiri posted...
._.)/ I think you broke Lootman guys
#2BowsaaPosted 9/13/2013 11:50:50 AM
Hook the fans to a fan controller and you can adjust them. Otherwise, just buy quiet fans. I use 2 15 db case fans with the PSU fan and stock heatsink and I can't hear a thing.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#3ShubPosted 9/13/2013 11:51:59 AM
It depends how they're hooked up.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4KillerTrufflePosted 9/13/2013 11:53:47 AM
If they're connected directly to the PSU, they will always run at full speed. Hooked up to the motherboard, the speed will be controlled by the motherboard automatically. Hooked up to a fan controller, you can manually set the speed, or depending on the controller, they can be controlled automatically based on temperature.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5NicodimusPosted 9/13/2013 11:57:19 AM
I will say that Noctua fans are nearly silent, even at 100% speed. They are expensive, but worth it IMO. I have 5 of the 140mm ones in my case and I can barely hear that my PC is on.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#6LusoryPrimePosted 9/13/2013 12:04:43 PM
Nicodimus posted...
I will say that Noctua fans are nearly silent, even at 100% speed. They are expensive, but worth it IMO. I have 5 of the 140mm ones in my case and I can barely hear that my PC is on.

Yes Noctua make some excellent, silent fans. A friend of mine had a crappy fan on her HP machine a few years ago that made this horrendous droning noise. She had to turn the system off or else it would give her migraines eventually. So I just replaced the case and CPU fans with Noctuas and even at full speed they were nearly impossible to hear in the closed case.
---
PSN ID: Lusory_Prime | Steam: LusoryPrime
#7Dcl2049Posted 9/13/2013 12:10:27 PM
It depends on a lot of things. They arent purely mechanical so it is determined by how much power you feed into them versus how much resistive force they face when moving air in or out of the case.

The simple answer is they they will probably not run exactly the same speed which can lead to resonant vibrations, which might be annoying (causes my keyboard to rattle).

I would do my best to match fans if I were you, and if I were to make a recommendation, go with Cougar hydrodynamic bearing fans. I bought a 12cm and it is pretty quiet considering how much air it moves, and on newer motherboards if you get the pulse width modulation version of the fan (PWM) you can control your fans very well using software. They are around 13 bucks each iirc but the quality and engineering is amazing.
---
I wear my sunglasses at night
3DS: Dan 0130-1908-9217
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/13/2013 12:11:15 PM
Nicodimus posted...

People say that, but I bought a couple noctuas, and they were awfully loud. Supposedly quieter ones, too.
My Akasa Vipers and Scythe S-Flex are far, far quieter, and do a much better job of moving air. Plus, the S-Flex were under $10 each.(I think close to $6?)
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64