This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dumb question about Steam and Gog

#1Cesare_BorgiaPosted 9/13/2013 12:15:28 PM
I bought the Witcher games on Steam a few months back, and then redeemed the keys for the free Gog copies and started playing the gog versions. I really liked the first game and I'm loving the second (just started Chapter 3), and I kinda want to get all achievement whore-y about the second one. So is there a way to get Steam to recognize my already downloaded and installed gog version?

I'm guessing there isn't, but I figured there's no harm in making sure.
#2NicodimusPosted 9/13/2013 12:20:19 PM(edited)
There is a way to add non-Steam games to Steam, but I've never bothered with it since I just launch from icons in my Game folder. If I knew how to do it I would be more specific.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#3captindrek09Posted 9/13/2013 12:25:49 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
There is a way to add non-Steam games to Steam, but I've never bothered with it since I just launch from icons in my Game folder. If I knew how to do it I would be more specific.

That'll essentially just clock your hours for you and show your friends that you're playing the game. To get the achievements you need to be playing your Steam copy.

So, no, there is no way for Steam to recognize your Gog install, but you may be able to copy the save file and paste it into the Steamapps folder under your Witcher game once you've installed the Steam version. (Note, I've never installed a Gog game so I am unsure whether or not you can transfer the save files. It can't hurt to try though.
---
"There's always money in the banana stand."
3DS FC: 3738-0451-3244
#4OmegaDL50Posted 9/13/2013 12:25:32 PM
Steam achievements are specific to Steam copies. If you want Steam achievements you'll need to install the Steam version of Witcher 2
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 9/13/2013 12:28:08 PM
if it's the same game files you could try starting a steam install and then move the game files into the folder and verify... at worst it'll just have to redownload some extra files instead of the whole game.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6Binba442Posted 9/13/2013 12:31:12 PM
Wait until a sale, it goes down pretty low. And paste in the save if you want it.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#7captindrek09Posted 9/13/2013 12:36:07 PM
Binba442 posted...
Wait until a sale, it goes down pretty low. And paste in the save if you want it.

He has both copies already. All he needs to do is paste in the save./
---
"There's always money in the banana stand."
3DS FC: 3738-0451-3244
#8Cesare_Borgia(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 12:42:23 PM
Yeah I didn't think it would be so simple. I guess I can always just download the Steam version while playing the gog one. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

AsucaHayashi posted...
if it's the same game files you could try starting a steam install and then move the game files into the folder and verify... at worst it'll just have to redownload some extra files instead of the whole game.

Actually this is interesting, I might give this a shot.
#9AsucaHayashiPosted 9/13/2013 1:07:39 PM
post if it works or not.... might be handy for later on.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#10OmegaDL50Posted 9/13/2013 1:39:39 PM
Yes please share with us the results.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.