This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Graphics card making weird noises

#21_Goggalor_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 1:58:38 PM
Reaper_Minion posted...
Replacing a couple parts is very straightforward and doesn't require any knowledge.

What CPU are you using?

The one it came with, an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz. And yeah, it seems straightforward enough. Also, just looked up some pricing for some 500w power supplies and it's not as bad as I thought. Most are like $45-50.
---
Currently playing: Rayman Legends, Alice: Madness Returns
#22_Goggalor_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:08:40 PM
So if I got the 7770 1 GB, would I see any graphical performance increases with my relatively slow CPU, the Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz?
---
#23_Goggalor_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:39:33 PM
It's also only got 2 GB of RAM, but I plan on upgrading that to 4 when I get the money. So decent RAM, decent card, slow-ish CPU. What would that do?
---
#24NicodimusPosted 9/13/2013 3:40:48 PM
_Goggalor_ posted...
So if I got the 7770 1 GB, would I see any graphical performance increases with my relatively slow CPU, the Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz?

It depends on the game. Minecraft and Skyrim are very CPU dependent, so they might suffer from a slower CPU. Others use the GPU to do most of the heavy lifting, and you won't notice if your CPU is not awesome.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#25_Goggalor_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:43:42 PM
Nicodimus posted...
_Goggalor_ posted...

It depends on the game. Minecraft and Skyrim are very CPU dependent, so they might suffer from a slower CPU. Others use the GPU to do most of the heavy lifting, and you won't notice if your CPU is not awesome.

I plan on upgrading everything but the CPU since I can't afford an i5 or i7. So what would be the outcome if I had the 7770 1 GB, 4 GB's of RAM, and the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz? If you had to guess that is.
---
#26NicodimusPosted 9/13/2013 3:54:29 PM
It's honestly a little hard to say, because there are a few factors involved beyond components:

-The individual game itself
-What resolution you play at
-What framerate you are happy with
-If you want to mod the game

Some games, you could probably play at high settings and it would be relatively smooth. Others, you might need to turn down to medium or low to keep a playable framerate. That's kind of the nice thing about PC gaming...not only can you choose the hardware, but you can adjust multiple individual settings for each game to make it run the way you like best.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#27thatfool12GsPosted 9/13/2013 4:05:19 PM
Have you tried pouring water into the GPU before using it? This may help.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#28_Goggalor_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 4:06:37 PM
Nicodimus posted...
It's honestly a little hard to say, because there are a few factors involved beyond components:

-The individual game itself
-What resolution you play at
-What framerate you are happy with
-If you want to mod the game

Some games, you could probably play at high settings and it would be relatively smooth. Others, you might need to turn down to medium or low to keep a playable framerate. That's kind of the nice thing about PC gaming...not only can you choose the hardware, but you can adjust multiple individual settings for each game to make it run the way you like best.

It seems the only games my current setup has trouble with are open-world games(understandably). With my current hardware, I can run games like Alice: Madness Returns and Dead Space at Medium settings already. So it seems I'd see a significant boost with better RAM and Graphics card. But games like Skyrim and Fallout I'd probably have to run at low settings.
---
#29Reaper_MinionPosted 9/14/2013 5:22:39 AM(edited)
If you are getting RAM, you might as well get 8GB to be safe. 4GB is barely, barely enough these days.

The processor can wait. For now, you can try overclocking if you have that option.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY