This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 Disc Player Trouble

#1DarthNightmaricPosted 9/13/2013 1:55:14 PM
I've already tried posting this on the PC-Tech Support board, but nobody's noticed it. So, I'm reproducing that post and posting it here since there is like 0 traffic all day on that board.

OK. My mother's Windows 7 HP Laptop's disc player is not working. Whenever I insert a disc, it doesn't register that there's a disc in there. It knows it's in there, but it can't seem to open the disc.

The last disc that worked was a Spanish learning set, and as I was transferring the audio files from a group of CDs from my local library, the disc drive stopped burning it correctly, and it hasn't worked since. Please help me!
---
General, Rogue 14. 2 Gold Medals, 13 Ace Medals, 10 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal.
#2DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:09:02 PM
bump
---
General, Rogue 14. 2 Gold Medals, 13 Ace Medals, 10 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal.
#3PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/13/2013 2:19:42 PM(edited)
Chances are it is physically broken and needs to be replaced. Is the laptop still under warranty?
---
Fear is a leash.
#4DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:28:28 PM
I don't know.
---
#5DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:33:03 PM
bump
---
#6donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 2:36:27 PM
I have this same problem. Try powering down and removing the dvd drive.
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#7DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:39:33 PM
donbrifway posted...
I have this same problem. Try powering down and removing the dvd drive.

how do I remove it? I just press a button to stick it out.
---
#8El MagnificoPosted 9/13/2013 2:46:02 PM
DarthNightmaric posted...

It depends on the laptop. If the laptop has a modular bay, then there is likely latch that you can release. Otherwise, you're looking a removing screws holding the drive in place. The screws may be visible on the bottom or the sides of the laptop or may require disassembling the chassis to get access to the drive. You can find the laptop's documentation for more details about servicing the laptop.

The simplest solution for you would probably be to buy a USB DVD drive since it's likely that the laptop's drive is failing or has failed.

#9DarthNightmaric(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:46:58 PM
El Magnifico posted...

It depends on the laptop. If the laptop has a modular bay, then there is likely latch that you can release. Otherwise, you're looking a removing screws holding the drive in place. The screws may be visible on the bottom or the sides of the laptop or may require disassembling the chassis to get access to the drive. You can find the laptop's documentation for more details about servicing the laptop.

The simplest solution for you would probably be to buy a USB DVD drive since it's likely that the laptop's drive is failing or has failed.

How can I tell if it has a modular bay? If I do, where is the latch?
---
General, Rogue 14. 2 Gold Medals, 13 Ace Medals, 10 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal. I want an Xbox One, a PS4, a Wii U, a GBA, an N64, an X360, PS1-4, and a 3DS.
#10El MagnificoPosted 9/13/2013 3:00:19 PM
How can I tell if it has a modular bay? If I do, where is the latch?

You can tell it's a modular bay if you can swap the DVD drive out for a hard drive or some other component. Usually you can tell it's modular by the presence of a latch. The latch would probably be located at the bottom of the laptop. Based on your responses it doesn't sound like you have the technical knowledge to service the laptop yourself. I recommend that you just buy a USB DVD drive instead of messing around with the laptop and potentially causing further damage. It's highly likely that the DVD drive is broken so you're most likely looking at replacing it or getting a USB DVD drive to use instead.