This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you use a surge protector?

#1BogePosted 9/13/2013 2:04:32 PM
Do you use a surge protector? - Results (275 votes)
Yes, I use a high end one for my computer.
33.45% (92 votes)
Yes, I use some dinky, inexpensive one.
42.55% (117 votes)
No, I don't use a protector
15.64% (43 votes)
Does an multi-outlet count?
7.27% (20 votes)
I use something else.
1.09% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Some would call them power strips, whatever, I've always called them surge protectors. I'm out of the loop on them, basically using whatever is laying around.

For a computer, how necessary is it to use one of these? I know the joules are the big number you need to pay attention to. What is good?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 9/13/2013 2:07:15 PM
Well I question their worth since, They still explode if there is a large enough surge (like a lightning strike) and fry whatever is attached to them.

Happen to friends of mine last month, it blew up the house surge protector, and blew up every power strip and everything attached to them.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:11:59 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Well I question their worth since, They still explode if there is a large enough surge (like a lightning strike) and fry whatever is attached to them.

Happen to friends of mine last month, it blew up the house surge protector, and blew up every power strip and everything attached to them.

Wow. I guess that's when you need an insurance protector.

I really don't know anything about them. I'm curious as to if they're still necessary or if your system will just blow up anyway or if there is enough protection built into your house or power supply to protect against smaller surges in a brown out or something.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#4OmegaDL50Posted 9/13/2013 2:14:02 PM
It actually depends how good your PSU is, as that is the sole component that distributes electricity to your computer.

Some of the better PSU manufacturers design their PSUs with a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) which is a component better surge protectors protect against spikes. And then there is things like OCP and UCP (Over / Under Current Protection)

Even so nothing is infallible. So I generally prefer a Surge Protector from a company like APC for example. They sell reasonably priced ones for PCs without a sacrifice to quality.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#5SinisterSlayPosted 9/13/2013 2:20:45 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
It actually depends how good your PSU is, as that is the sole component that distributes electricity to your computer.

Some of the better PSU manufacturers design their PSUs with a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) which is a component better surge protectors protect against spikes. And then there is things like OCP and UCP (Over / Under Current Protection)

Even so nothing is infallible. So I generally prefer a Surge Protector from a company like APC for example. They sell reasonably priced ones for PCs without a sacrifice to quality.

I forgot to say.

The UPS attached to the computer exploded, and the power supply stopped working, but once replaced, the mother board was fine.
So I guess between the two devices enough of the lightning strike was disbursed.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/13/2013 2:23:13 PM
I keep my desktop hooked up to an APC surge protector at all times.
---
Fear is a leash.
#7Digital StormPosted 9/13/2013 2:23:23 PM
Other: I've got a Leviton panel mount surge protector.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#8SirisS-G-PPosted 9/13/2013 2:37:21 PM
I use battery backup, The power is not always stable here.
#9RavenoussdPosted 9/13/2013 2:42:24 PM
yeah i've been using the same one for like 7 years :O
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#10Black_King945Posted 9/13/2013 2:44:19 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

That's not a valid argument against home use of surge protectors, they are intended to protect your devices from a power grid surge of maybe 200 or more volts, a lightning strike is more around the area of 200,000 to 500,000 volts.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W