This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you use a surge protector?

#31R i c kPosted 9/13/2013 7:40:15 PM(edited)
su27Chaos posted...
lol Electrical lines are buried so surge protect is enough for now. Thank god I don't live in greedy east coast how they are stubborn not to convert to underground lines and risk workers during storms.

What? Do they send electrical workers out in storms on the West Coast? How barbaric... Here on the civilized East Coast, if the wind is over x mph the workers don't even touch anything, let alone start climbing poles. (And I say "climbing poles" despite the fact that I haven't actually seen a utility worker on a pole in forever. They all use the cherry picker trucks now.)
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#32RheygarPosted 9/13/2013 7:43:25 PM
Power bars/strips don't do anything, they just give you more outlets.

I have all my high end electronics plugged into good surge protectors, except my TV, as the warrantly covers it for 4 years against it. . . if a surge takes it out, I get a newer TV, yay!

Always have home insurance as well.
#33su27ChaosPosted 9/14/2013 3:25:20 AM(edited)
R i c k posted...
su27Chaos posted...
lol Electrical lines are buried so surge protect is enough for now. Thank god I don't live in greedy east coast how they are stubborn not to convert to underground lines and risk workers during storms.

What? Do they send electrical workers out in storms on the West Coast? How barbaric... Here on the civilized East Coast, if the wind is over x mph the workers don't even touch anything, let alone start climbing poles. (And I say "climbing poles" despite the fact that I haven't actually seen a utility worker on a pole in forever. They all use the cherry picker trucks now.)

Did you even read my post correctly? Anyway I was joking how that but do you even know how bad it was after Hurricane Sandy hit NJ? It was really bad my area and those ugly things in the skies block my view... Stop pretending you know things go to Dumont (WHERE I USED TO LIVE) and see it yourself. They haven't even learn after 100 hurricanes.

My goodness with posters these days. Go enjoy yourself in the dreamland you live in. I still SEE THOSE LINES when I left 3 months ago.

btw I bet you like those price increase by PSEG and I can't forget those high price tax and being double tolled going to work in NY.
---
American products is good go buy them.
#34samurai1900Posted 9/14/2013 4:53:24 AM
Yes, my UPS also functions as a surge protector, handy little thing I tell you.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#35PolarisPosted 9/14/2013 5:53:02 AM
I have a UPS, voted for high end surge protector, read this after I voted.

Boge posted...
Thescyy posted...
Wheres the UPS option?

That's the very last option. I thought of making it a separate choice, but I'm not sure there are any other choices beyond that, so I threw it into the "other". It appears I made the right choice seeing as how there are only 3 votes, unless everyone on a UPS is voting on the high end Surge protector, which I didn't intend to happen.
#36R i c kPosted 9/14/2013 6:50:02 AM
su27Chaos posted...
Did you even read my post correctly? Anyway I was joking how that but do you even know how bad it was after Hurricane Sandy hit NJ? It was really bad my area and those ugly things in the skies block my view... Stop pretending you know things go to Dumont (WHERE I USED TO LIVE) and see it yourself. They haven't even learn after 100 hurricanes.
My goodness with posters these days. Go enjoy yourself in the dreamland you live in. I still SEE THOSE LINES when I left 3 months ago.
btw I bet you like those price increase by PSEG and I can't forget those high price tax and being double tolled going to work in NY.

I know you were joking. I thought it was pretty obvious I was, too. Seems I triggered some PTSD or something, though, so my apologies.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#37xxcheexxPosted 9/14/2013 8:50:31 AM
Orestes417 posted...
A UPS is in fact effectively a high end surge protector. That's how I voted anyway

---
If it's all civilized, you're doing it wrong.
Steam: xxSolstice
#38El_KazPosted 9/14/2013 9:55:13 AM
jordandrako posted...
No surge protector that isn't insanely expensive is going to protect you from a direct lightning strike though.

No surge protector PERIOD is going to protect you for a direct lightning strike.
If your lines are somehow vulnerable to being struck by lightning, you install lightning rods, not surge protectors.
---
Wait... what?
#39DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/14/2013 11:21:21 AM(edited)
I have a couple old APC surge protectors I use.
Edit: And some cheaper power strips plugged into those if extra outlets are needed, but they're thin and shallow and don't even fit some plugs.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#40CyrusVPosted 9/14/2013 12:32:01 PM
I have one I paid $13 for about 14 years ago. Not sure if that counts as high-end or dinky.