This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any coop horror games?

#11NotQuiteAFreakPosted 9/13/2013 2:44:51 PM
jake-sf posted...
I don't agree in the slightest. It just hasn't been done properly. People have such closed minds.

I really don't think so. Horror games are as much about the atmosphere they are played in as the content in them. Example, if you play a horror game in the middle of the day it's certainly not going to be as scary as (If at all) when playing it in the middle of the night with all the lights off.

The same goes if you add a bunch of your friends into the equation, it instantly breaks the immersion and thus any horror. The scary monsters stalking you around the haunted castle seem alot less scary when one of your friend is teabagging the monster chasing him, another is making sexual advances on the creepy bathtub lady who jumped out on him and another is chatting on about his cat lying on his keyboard. You could argue it'd still be scary if you gathered all your friends sat them all in a room with the lights off and you never spoke to each other, but that would just be weird.

Scary films work with your buddies groups and at the cinema because everyone is silent and concentrating on the movie, in games this just doesn't happen.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#12jake-sfPosted 9/13/2013 6:03:40 PM
Heh, you have terrible friends to play this sort of game I guess. Yes, this would be horrible with random people that can't even try to immerse themselves in the game with you. I can hardly debate that. I've played single player horror games with a friend too, and it worked just fine. Anyone can break it for a scary movie too if they just don't care, which is what you described to me.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#13Moose_Of_WoePosted 9/13/2013 7:33:52 PM(edited)
Resident Evil: Outbreak 1 and 2 did it masterfully. Of course we're talking PS2 here, not PC. I'd love to see a game like Outbreak with modern tech, but Capcom would probably bastardize it.

Given the tech Capcom had to work with, both games were great. Both OB's had atrocious load times unless you had the PS2 HDD. Also the offline mode sucked, and it was only five levels per game.

Regardless, for such little content the games were a blast. I guarantee most people ran like hell when they first saw the axe man, or the titan elephant came charging at them. The games didn't rely on jump scares - they just had a great atmosphere to them. Particularly the online mode with no voice chat and you're wondering what other players are doing/thinking.