This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it even worth it to overclock?

#1BogePosted 9/13/2013 1:24:44 PM
You spend an extra $10-$20 for the unlocked CPU, another $30 or more for an aftermarket fan, and another, what, $50 for a good overclocking motherboard? That's not counting special thermal paste or a case with good cooling.

For the extra you spend to get good overclocking parts, wouldn't it just be better to go with stock pieces and spend that extra $100 on the CPU for the better instead?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/13/2013 1:27:07 PM
It's not unheard of to get 25% boosts in performance, which is much better than what most upgrades offer. Also keep in mind that overclocking the multiplier gives more everyday horsepower than adding more cores, since games the use >4 threads are few in number.
---
Fear is a leash.
#3Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 1:28:51 PM
This was just a quick search, so I'm not sure if there is other information out there...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_3570K_and_i7_3770K_Comparison/7.html

An overclocked 3570k performs less than the 3770k stock.
---
#4donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 1:31:46 PM
3770k is also $100 more.
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#5Snuckie7Posted 9/13/2013 1:34:10 PM
What if there was no better processor for single threaded performance when you bought yours?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 9/13/2013 1:34:29 PM
you only need to pay once for everything except the cpu though...
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#7Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 1:34:49 PM
donbrifway posted...
3770k is also $100 more.

Exactly. So, do you actually get more for your $100 by buying parts for an overclock, or is it better to put that $100 towards the higher end part?
---
#8SinisterSlayPosted 9/13/2013 1:36:31 PM
Boge posted...
donbrifway posted...
3770k is also $100 more.

Exactly. So, do you actually get more for your $100 by buying parts for an overclock, or is it better to put that $100 towards the higher end part?

I'd say no, because overclocking is a hassle :D
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9steveboblarryPosted 9/13/2013 1:45:51 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Boge posted...
donbrifway posted...
3770k is also $100 more.

This, I just tried to up my i5-3570k@4ghz to 4.5ghz. and my mobo started wigging out on me my bios kept freezing and I kept getting bsod's. had to Push the cmos button, loaded the previous profile and its fine now.
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#10Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 1:52:15 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Boge posted...
donbrifway posted...
3770k is also $100 more.

It actually wasn't for me this time. 3570k straight to 4.4ghz. Runs cool, no problems in 13 months. I didn't do anything but change the multiplier. One click and it was good.

I do agree though. I've had some issues in the past overclocking. Out of the 3 systems I've had built for overclocking, 1 was a complete drag...just wouldn't go. The other wasn't too bad, a 720be with the unlocked core@3.4ghz, had to up the voltage a click. Yeah, it can be troublesome, but kind of cool I guess that's why a lot of people do it, just for fun.

I'm just kind of wondering for performance if it's worth it. I guess it's more bang for your buck for gaming? Even then, I could save that $100 overclock money and put that towards a faster vid card too. That would probably give better performance in certain games than any CPU overclock would. I know it's all dependent, but overall, what do you think?
---