This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it even worth it to overclock?

#11OmegaDL50Posted 9/13/2013 2:51:14 PM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
This, I just tried to up my i5-3570k@4ghz to 4.5ghz. and my mobo started wigging out on me my bios kept freezing and I kept getting bsod's. had to Push the cmos button, loaded the previous profile and its fine now.

Yeah because generally you aren't supposed to crank it to the max when doing an overclock. It's a gradual thing. Basically increasing it in small increments while still maintaining stability.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#12steveboblarryPosted 9/13/2013 2:56:26 PM(edited)
OmegaDL50 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
This, I just tried to up my i5-3570k@4ghz to 4.5ghz. and my mobo started wigging out on me my bios kept freezing and I kept getting bsod's. had to Push the cmos button, loaded the previous profile and its fine now.

Yeah because generally you aren't supposed to crank it to the max when doing an overclock. It's a gradual thing. Basically increasing it in small increments while still maintaining stability.

Hmm alright maybe I will try to mess with it at a later date, I was really bugging though I thought I destroyed my computer. Any chance my cpu or mobo might of been damaged?
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#13steveboblarryPosted 9/13/2013 2:55:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#14donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 2:58:41 PM
Boge posted...
donbrifway posted...
3770k is also $100 more.

Exactly. So, do you actually get more for your $100 by buying parts for an overclock, or is it better to put that $100 towards the higher end part?

I don't think you understand. You were comparing one overclocked CPU to another overclocked CPU. One has hyperthreading and better single core performance (3770k). That's not the same as comparing an overclocked k cpu with a non-k cpu.
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#15lionheart5656Posted 9/13/2013 3:04:44 PM
For the most part no.

Now if you are legally playing Dolphin with your Super Mario Galaxy rom that you made from your bought copy, then that extra performance makes a huge huge difference.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/13/2013 3:12:38 PM(edited)
It kind of depends.

I usually build budget bang-for-buck builds intended to get the most out of the money that I am willing to spend, and for me personally it has never been worth it at the time that I do the build. The extra cost involved with overclocking (cooler, motherboard, unlocked CPU) are generally not worth it at that point in time. Especially since typically with a new build, it is the CPU that is probably the part that is least in need of extra performance, and which performance holds up best over the years.

Later however, when 3 years or more have passed and you want to squeeze out every bit of performance out of your existing hardware, sometimes overclocking becomes more interesting. It can extend the viability of your build a little bit more, or can prevent a bottleneck when you are installing newer GPU into your old system.

However, given the cost and hassle I do not really overclock anymore. I used to do it, though with less time on my hands and not being as up to date about these kind of things, I have just let things be. I also was never really that impressed with my performance gain when overclocking. Though some people have told me that it is less of a hassle nowadays and there is more performance gain possible.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#17Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:12:14 PM
steveboblarry posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Hmm alright maybe I will try to mess with it at a later date, I was really bugging though I thought I destroyed my computer. Any chance my cpu or mobo might of been damaged?

Not likely. Your motherboard just gets confused. Once you've reset things back, it should be fine. I wouldn't even stress about it at all.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#18CadelerPosted 9/13/2013 3:13:52 PM
Overclocking is for poor people who can't afford to buy a new CPU every few years. So they OC to get better performance out of the outdated CPU they have to keep pace with the higher requirements for games
#19donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 3:14:14 PM
Cadeler posted...
Overclocking is for poor people who can't afford to buy a new CPU every few years. So they OC to get better performance out of the outdated CPU they have to keep pace with the higher requirements for games

lol
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#20Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:15:13 PM
On another note, I haven't used a stock CPU cooler in a long time. My current system is VERY quiet. I love that. Is that part of the aftermarket cooler I have (hyper 212+)? The quiet sound is worth $30 to me if that's the case.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.