This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What else can a gaming computer do effectively besides gaming?

#1iBlackice25Posted 9/13/2013 3:20:16 PM(edited)
Ive always wondered, if I bought a gaming computer, would I have to own another computer just to do anything else, or could i use it for other things (great internet, microsoft word, etc.).
---
GT: DarknessSniperX
Youtube channel: aquaAffinity2
#2donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 2:49:27 PM
0/10
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#3steveboblarryPosted 9/13/2013 2:49:55 PM
A normal computer is like goku

A gaming computer is like super sayian goku, it can do everything goku can do and more
---
Chief Keef makes music for people who spin around in circles to get dizzy
#4Bikes-Posted 9/13/2013 2:51:01 PM
If a serious question, you'd be able to do most anything more efficiently, word processing and internet browsing specific comps don't use special parts or anything they're just minimalistic since you don't need that much power to run word.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#5iBlackice25(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:52:25 PM
steveboblarry posted...
A normal computer is like goku

A gaming computer is like super sayian goku, it can do everything goku can do and more

Thanks for keeping it short and simple.
---
#6iBlackice25(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 2:53:39 PM
Idk why people think im trolling, im serious.
---
#7UberLurkerPosted 9/13/2013 3:11:35 PM(edited)
My HTPC is a legitimately better media player than my PS3... I built it because I got sick of the PS3's media type incompatibilities and the need to run a service on my other PC to stream/transcode said incompatible files.

Also, my "gaming" PC at home is arguably better than the one I use at work for crunching code. Now if only I could convince my boss to let me work from home every day...

Hooray, I'm posting in a troll thread! Now that's how you spend a Friday the 13th =D

iBlackice25 posted...

I think it has to do with the part where you said "they suck at everything else"... if you meant it as "they might suck at everything else depending on the answers I get" then you probably should have phrased it as such.
#8iBlackice25(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 3:19:39 PM
UberLurker posted...
My HTPC is a legitimately better media player than my PS3... I built it because I got sick of the PS3's media type incompatibilities and the need to run a service on my other PC to stream/transcode said incompatible files.

Also, my "gaming" PC at home is arguably better than the one I use at work for crunching code. Now if only I could convince my boss to let me work from home every day...

Hooray, I'm posting in a troll thread! Now that's how you spend a Friday the 13th =D

iBlackice25 posted...

I think it has to do with the part where you said "they suck at everything else"... if you meant it as "they might suck at everything else depending on the answers I get" then you probably should have phrased it as such.

What i meant by, "basically they suck at everything except gaming" was that I was asking people IF gaming computers sucked at everything except gaming, I wasnt stating that gaming computers sucked at everything besides gaming. I'll just go ahead and edit that first post, thanks for telling me.
---
#9RavenoussdPosted 9/13/2013 3:26:10 PM
well your "gaming" computer is just that

at its BASE, its a computer......a computer can do anything a computer can do *GASPS*
then you add the "gaming" TO the BASE and you get a gaming computer..a computer (see above definition) that can also play games

also -10/10
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/13/2013 3:33:17 PM
You answer is anything that can be done on a computer. From video-editing to running elaborate statistical analysis programs.

The thing is though, most of us do not need our computer for these kind of things. The average consumer does a bit of browsing , a bit of multimedia things like streaming HD content and what not, and maybe some basic image and video-editing. Typically gaming PC's are way more than what the average gamer needs outside of his actual games.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H