This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game removed from steam user libraries.

#1occonoPosted 9/13/2013 4:25:38 PM
http://support.eu.square-enix.com/news.php?id=592&la=2&n=2&drt=1378144800&tag=345407add3ee17e694cf76e792565716739f00ec&SQEXSC=hjhlbmmi6qhbdttg3dm3fk52h6
Even with servers down, they could have let people play V. AI or mod the game. Now it can't be downloaded anymore.

Not a nice change in policy...
#2donbrifwayPosted 9/13/2013 4:26:28 PM
i hate reading this stuff
---
Steam: donbrifway
Origin: donbr1fway
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/13/2013 4:32:30 PM
I'm fine with that if its an online only game. Have no knowledge of the game itself so not sure if that's the case.

If a games servers go down permanently, and the game relied on those servers to function, I'm fine with losing the dead weight. Communities and these issues are what keeps me from investing too much effort in these online games.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4NE_PatriotsFanPosted 9/13/2013 4:36:09 PM
Thats kinda sad actually, even though ive never heard of the game.
---
"Our hopes and dreams travel with you" Jor-El
#5occono(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 4:40:13 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
I'm fine with that if its an online only game. Have no knowledge of the game itself so not sure if that's the case.

If a games servers go down permanently, and the game relied on those servers to function, I'm fine with losing the dead weight. Communities and these issues are what keeps me from investing too much effort in these online games.

The game itself I don't even know of. Although you could play against AI or mod it.

But I'm worried about the change in policy: you've always been able to redownload games you've bought. What "dead weight" do you speak of? You can just uninstall it if you don't want it on your PC anymore...........

I wonder if you keep the files will Steam still even validate them if you move them to another PC.
#6DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/13/2013 4:53:01 PM(edited)
occono posted...
You can just uninstall it if you don't want it on your PC anymore...........

It will always remain in your library. Why have something in your library that will never function again? The fact that no one has heard of it is likely testament to its fruitful community, or lack thereof.

Edit: To clarify, if this has a singleplayer aspect then I agree with this being a fairly major issue. If its purely online and the community is dead, I understand why its happening. Ideally they would give you a choice to remove the game permanently from your library rather than forcing it though.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
#7occono(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 5:03:06 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
occono posted...
You can just uninstall it if you don't want it on your PC anymore...........

It will always remain in your library. Why have something in your library that will never function again? The fact that no one has heard of it is likely testament to its fruitful community, or lack thereof.

Edit: To clarify, if this has a singleplayer aspect then I agree with this being a fairly major issue. If its purely online and the community is dead, I understand why its happening. Ideally they would give you a choice to remove the game permanently from your library rather than forcing it though.

...Because maybe I just want to load it up and see the intro. Maybe I want to mod it. Maybe I want to get some of the picture or audio files from it.

Whatever the case, they should not be removing games from libraries.

If you want an option to remove games from your library, yeah that could be easier I guess. I use a folder but IIRC that doesn't sync across PCs so yeah, as an option to hide or remove games from your account, sure. Forcing it is a change I don't like. It's a precedent for them removing games for different reasons.....
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/13/2013 5:10:55 PM(edited)
occono posted...
...Because maybe I just want to load it up and see the intro. Maybe I want to mod it. Maybe I want to get some of the picture or audio files from it.

Could always youtube or google what you need. Mod it? If you want it so bad you might as well find it via other means. Its not a sold product anymore and its non-functional as a product. Again its a little heavy handed but its not a game you own and never was.

edit: Also not sure but it likely isn't being deleted off your hdd if you own it. Server space costs money and a broken game is not worth said money.
---
#9RPGMattPosted 9/13/2013 5:39:51 PM
TC is right. That's pretty ****ed up. Theoretically, you could always LAN it or mod it to run on a community-maintained server.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#10occono(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 7:00:54 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
occono posted...

Could always youtube or google what you need. Mod it? If you want it so bad you might as well find it via other means. Its not a sold product anymore and its non-functional as a product. Again its a little heavy handed but its not a game you own and never was.

edit: Also not sure but it likely isn't being deleted off your hdd if you own it. Server space costs money and a broken game is not worth said money.

Well, I remember being told by someone when I was new to Steam you can always redownload your games, so, thought I'd let people know.

It's not nonfunctional mind, there is Vs. AI. Which may be very boring for all I know but still.

"Could always youtube or google what you need. Mod it? If you want it so bad you might as well find it via other means. "

Yeahhhh, so hopefully it's something someone found and uploaded, and if not, well, just pirate it, great. Just saying, this is why some people (not me, really) buy from GOG even when a game costs more than Steam, like Alan Wake.