This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good HacknSlash/Action Adventure games?

#1PhizulzPosted 9/14/2013 5:03:15 AM
I hate Skyrim though, the combat was the most boring thing I have ever experienced. Thank god there are mods to keep the world interesting. Anyway, I've been playing Dragons Dogma on Ps3 and LOVED it until I finished the game and there was nothing else to do except grind for gear against glass enemies (yawn).

I played Demons Souls and got platinum'd it a long time ago, it was awesome. Currently playing Dark Souls on PC and LOVE it. But I was just wondering if there were any other good games on PC that have an awesome combat system with stuff like, creating your own character, choosing a class, adventuring an open world etc. Or if there are any mods you know of that makes Skyrim's combat a LOT better I'd love to know (I really, really want to like that game).
#2maybecallsPosted 9/14/2013 5:18:16 AM
Mount and Blade Warband
#3Maiken100Posted 9/14/2013 5:20:15 AM
Kingdom of Amalur, is ok I guess.
You could try the Ninja Gaiden games on Ps3.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs
#4ConkerPosted 9/14/2013 5:32:52 AM
All of the Devil May Cry series are solid. Darksiders 1 and 2 are both solid but a totally different combat style than the DS series, more light-hearted, a bit more "fun" rather than dark and serious toned, and not as difficult.

As already said, Kingdom's of Amalur is ok. I personally think it's better than many of the naysayers, but I also don't mind an MMO styled game without the multiplayer aspect...

I like Fable 3, and can be had for pretty cheap nowadays.

Different style and not sure if it counts, but Bastion is pretty fun...it mixes some RPG elements with hack 'n slash plus shooting. Some people don't like the narrating, but I didn't mind it, and the gameplay is enjoyable, though it's more topdown than over-the-shoulder or behind the back gameplay.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#5LorthremarPosted 9/14/2013 6:06:22 AM
Conker posted...
All of the Devil May Cry series are solid. Darksiders 1 and 2 are both solid but a totally different combat style than the DS series, more light-hearted, a bit more "fun" rather than dark and serious toned, and not as difficult.

As already said, Kingdom's of Amalur is ok. I personally think it's better than many of the naysayers, but I also don't mind an MMO styled game without the multiplayer aspect...

Different style and not sure if it counts, but Bastion is pretty fun...it mixes some RPG elements with hack 'n slash plus shooting. Some people don't like the narrating, but I didn't mind it, and the gameplay is enjoyable, though it's more topdown than over-the-shoulder or behind the back gameplay.

How is Darksiders light-hearted? It's about the apocalypse. You rip hearts out of giants bats who scream obscenities at you with blood spraying everywhere.
#6LtMessiahDM504Posted 9/14/2013 6:06:33 AM
Ninja Gaiden 1/Black/Sigma
Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2
DMC HD Collection
DMC4
Bayonetta (***** on all of the above)

Kingdoms of Amalur gets extremely repetitive very quickly and this is coming from someone who used to run Meph, Pindle, and Hell cows for months and months. So hyped for that huge disappointment. Never came close to finishing.

Really wish Dragon's Dogma would hit PC.
#7ConkerPosted 9/14/2013 6:43:08 AM
Lorthremar posted...
Conker posted...

How is Darksiders light-hearted? It's about the apocalypse. You rip hearts out of giants bats who scream obscenities at you with blood spraying everywhere.

Apocalyptic and violent stuff don't have to be dark in tone and take itself seriously. Have you seen something like This is the End? That's kind of the same level of "dark but not serious" (just more exaggerated and in-your-face in that movie) that I get from a game like Darksiders.

I played through the whole first game and part of the second, and there was always a light-hearted tone to the games and characters...I mean, it has one-liners and cracks throughout. It all just felt like it wasn't meant to be too serious even in this apocalyptic setting. Meanwhile, playing a couple hours of Demon's/Dark Souls makes me feel tense and on the edge of my seat most of the time in a nerve-wracking kind of way without anything to really lighten the mood.

Not to mention it's much brighter as far as the actual look of the game, and the action is faster-paced with what I'd describe as less serious combat that just loosens up the gameplay vs always waiting for the next edge of your seat moment.
---
#8blade6321Posted 9/14/2013 6:44:34 AM
Conker posted...
Some people don't like the narrating.

lolwat

The narrating is practically the best part.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#9ConkerPosted 9/14/2013 6:53:24 AM
blade6321 posted...
Conker posted...
Some people don't like the narrating.

lolwat

The narrating is practically the best part.

I know, but I remember in topics a while back there would be people posting about how they'd turn the sound off or the narrating just got old/annoying. I think it's great, but I recall numerous posters saying that (whether they were trolling or not, I don't know...but I'd find it hard to believe someone would care enough to troll that game).
---
#10LevittaPosted 9/14/2013 7:01:59 AM
Check out the Ys games they're all excellent Action RPGs. The titles are best known for exhilarating boss fights and superb soundtracks. All the games are stand alone titles that only share the same protagonist for the most part.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - A fan favorite and likely the most difficult Ys title and it has some platforming elements. I feel this is the most self contained Ys game, so its a good starting point.

Ys Origin - Plays a lot like Oath in Felghana only you get 3 stories to play though with 3 unique play styles for each one. (though you are going through the same dungeon)

Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles - Where the series started over 25 years ago. These games play on the 'bump' system. You bump into enemies instead of pressing an attack button, can be quite fun but really shows its age.
---
Trails in the Sky has some of the best writing and most fleshed out setting I've seen in a RPG. Now coming to Steam Winter 2013. Sequel confirmed Summer 2014