This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why is this computer lagging so much?

#31machetemanPosted 9/14/2013 9:45:10 AM
Knight2520 posted...
When they switched ISPs, I assume they got a new router? When you connected to their network, was that wireless or through Ethernet? What kind of router do they have (an N router, a G router, etc.)? How far away from the router were you when you connected to the router via his USB adapter? Through walls or floors/ceilings? Do you have another wireless USB adapter that you know is good, can test on your laptop to verify, and then test on his machine?

Make sure that you're not plugging the USB adapter into a front panel USB port, if it's a desktop. Those ports don't always get enough power.

this. what are we comparing the "slow" speed to? Other wireless adapters? If he is consistently getting slower speeds compared to every other wireless PC on the network, something is wrong with the usb port or how it is configured.
#32Paco223Posted 9/14/2013 11:02:30 AM(edited)
This is why I love PCH! 10/10

Seriously though, the "ungreased ethernet port" is probably caused by one or more computers hogging his connection's bandwith.

Unexplainable latency is not caused by hardware malfunctions.

---
i5-2500k @ 4.5 Ghz | Hyper 212+ Evo Turbo | GTX 660 Ti OC | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | Corsair TX 750 V2 |
#33DoubleJ9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 11:36:49 AM
Ok sorry for the delay, had left for a bit then went by his house to check some things. I'm on my phone in a waiting room so I'll try to cover everything asked.

His router is a Linksys E2500
We plugged in the adapter to a back USB slot and he is getting average 8 megabytes per second.
We got another laptop and put it in his room beside his PC and plugged in his Linksys adapter (the same that he uses on his PC) and the laptop was getting 17 megabytes per second. We plugged it back into his PC in a back USB slot and he was only getting 8 megabytes.

Will have to finish updating after my appointment.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282
#34StormKMDPosted 9/14/2013 11:44:57 AM
Just be lucky you're getting that many bps. I get like 500kbps. -_-
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#35HydroCannabinolPosted 9/14/2013 12:59:29 PM
DoubleJ9 posted...
Ok sorry for the delay, had left for a bit then went by his house to check some things. I'm on my phone in a waiting room so I'll try to cover everything asked.

We plugged in the adapter to a back USB slot and he is getting average 8 megabytes per second.
We got another laptop and put it in his room beside his PC and plugged in his Linksys adapter (the same that he uses on his PC) and the laptop was getting 17 megabytes per second. We plugged it back into his PC in a back USB slot and he was only getting 8 megabytes.

Is he by chance using the front panel USB ports?? Those aren't on the motherboard.. try the back panel USB. Also try 3.0 if you have it, or alternatively the 2.0. Try them all and test on each port. If every port is the same, this is sorta strange considering the laptop was side-by-side and got double bandwidth with the exact same adapter.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#36DoubleJ9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 2:36:01 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
DoubleJ9 posted...

Is he by chance using the front panel USB ports?? Those aren't on the motherboard.. try the back panel USB. Also try 3.0 if you have it, or alternatively the 2.0. Try them all and test on each port. If every port is the same, this is sorta strange considering the laptop was side-by-side and got double bandwidth with the exact same adapter.

We actually tried it on every USB port and it got a tab better with two in the back but not what it should be. It has to be something to do with his network though or Windows 8 not liking his network. I went and picked it up and have it hooked up at my house, using the same adapter, and it's getting full signal consistently and I booted up FFXIV ARR and played it for a bit and never got any lag and the speed never dropped below what's normal for me.

When I take it back I'm going to mess with his router some more and see if I can figure out what's going on with it. Maybe it's limiting this computer and I just missed it the first time I looked through it.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282