This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about laptop computers?

#1AzurexNightmarePosted 9/14/2013 9:07:36 AM
I'm not quite familiar with computers in terms of operation. My laptop is brand new (I made another topic about how it would slow down but it seems like the problem was the browser itself)

Does the performance vary greatly from when the laptop is plugged in, to when its not plugged in and running on the battery? I've noticed that when its on the battery, there tend to be more "hiccups" in its performance.

And, obviously, the games don't run as well but that makes sense so i'm not worried about that.

Is it normal for there to be hiccups in performance with downloading and regular browsing? It's nothing major, but there is some slowdown. Again, I know computers aren't perfect but im here at this board to learn about PC's.

inb4 "lol u come 2 gamefaqs to learn pc"
---
PS3/Vita ID and 3DS FC in About Me
Digimon World 1 Remake on 3DS only 15k needed to localize https://www.facebook.com/OperationDecode
#2OmegaDL50Posted 9/14/2013 9:27:54 AM
Well the first question to ask is what Laptop is it? Do you have a spec list or model number?

And secondly,

Laptops are generally designed to be low power devices. Which is why "gaming laptops" are generally criticized regularly around here due to the fact that higher power demands for things like high end gaming and video rending tends to contrast Desktop PCs.

When the Laptop is "unplugged" It will generally go into a power saving mode and this will effect the laptop which means less power your CPU, GPU, etc can draw from since they are relying on the battery and not constant flow from the wall outlet which means performance takes hit in compensation.

This also detrimentally leads to another matter, Laptops because they are intended to be portable low-power devices, manufacturers design the components inside them to be smaller and to adhere to these standards of less-power hungry / less heat generation and because of this they tend to perform worse then a desktop with equivalent specifications.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/05/25/don-t-be-fooled-by-laptop-cpus/ Refer to this article for example.

In short when your PC isn't adequately powered it overall performance will be lower then compared when plugged in and can draw all the power it needs that battery can't provide at once.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 9/14/2013 9:35:24 AM
OmegaDL50 posted...
Well the first question to ask is what Laptop is it? Do you have a spec list or model number?

And secondly,

Laptops are generally designed to be low power devices. Which is why "gaming laptops" are generally criticized regularly around here due to the fact that higher power demands for things like high end gaming and video rending tends to contrast Desktop PCs.

When the Laptop is "unplugged" It will generally go into a power saving mode and this will effect the laptop which means less power your CPU, GPU, etc can draw from since they are relying on the battery and not constant flow from the wall outlet which means performance takes hit in compensation.

This also detrimentally leads to another matter, Laptops because they are intended to be portable low-power devices, manufacturers design the components inside them to be smaller and to adhere to these standards of less-power hungry / less heat generation and because of this they tend to perform worse then a desktop with equivalent specifications.

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/05/25/don-t-be-fooled-by-laptop-cpus/ Refer to this article for example.

In short when your PC isn't adequately powered it overall performance will be lower then compared when plugged in and can draw all the power it needs that battery can't provide at once.

Came in here to say this, but he said it better. This is what is happening. Normal.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#4AzurexNightmare(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 4:19:37 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Great responses!
---
PS3/Vita ID and 3DS FC in About Me
Digimon World 1 Remake on 3DS only 15k needed to localize https://www.facebook.com/OperationDecode
#5WygunPosted 9/14/2013 5:18:33 PM
You can change it so that your laptop doesnt decrease performance when on battery. Go to control panel, hardware, mobility center, then click battery status. You will see several configurations like economizer, , equilibrated, hi performance, etc. The last one prevents performance from decreasing but cuts battery life. It will likely only last around 1h15m in performance mode compared to 3-5hours in eco mode. Which kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop and is likely the reason its set to eco mode by default.