This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good laptop manufacturers?

#1GarhinderPosted 9/14/2013 10:08:42 AM
Copy + paste from another place.

----------------

I'm looking for a very good laptop for both my work and to screw around.

This is what I want out of it:

- SSD Storage of AT LEAST 512 GB
- OS can be anything. Windows, Linux, OS X, doesn't matter.
- 13-14". No more, no less.
-Decent touchpad. I ******** HATE every damn laptop I've touched because the touchpads are always a piece of ****. The only one I could stand was some friend's Macbook Pro, and even then, it was just going from "complete turd" to "actually usable".
- Light.
- Minimum battery life of 7 hours.
- Good performance. i7 quad core if possible, but a double core + hyperthreading may be acceptable. 8 GB RAM minimum.

Given what I want, I know I'll be paying a premium and I'm all right with it. I won't be buying this right now, but probably next in the first months of next year. I'm just looking for general directions, no need to find specific models.

As of now, the MacBook Air 13" seems like a good choice. I know, Apple is the spawn of Satan, but their laptops are very good. It has everything in the list BUT its CPU isn't particularly powerful, although it exchanges power for 12+ hours of battery. Other than that, it's exactly what I want. Because of this, I'm waiting to see the remodeled Macbook Pro models, since they also have a 13" one that should be slightly heavier than the air, but also more powerful.

I've also checked out some Sager laptops, but they are a bit heavier than I would want. The weight is very important here. 4 LBs is the very top I'm willing to take, and even then only if the performance makes the extra weight worth it. Preferably, 3.5 LBs or less. They do have a dedicated GPU so it's a +, but I'm not looking to game in my laptop, that's what my PC is for.

Same for some Dell high end laptops. At the end of it, all of these end up trading blows with each other. Some have more RAM, some have more resolution, some (meaning the Macbooks) have decent touchpads, some are way too heavy, etc. The price differences tend to be of 100 to 300 dollars, so it's not much of a factor when I'm already paying 1,900~

So... yeah, any brands I should check out? HP is out of the question. I was already pushing it with Dell.
#2greenyoshi46Posted 9/14/2013 10:30:13 AM
Razer blade 14"? It has a quad i7 and dedicated graphics (gtx 765m)

The touchpad looks big and isnt glossy like on the mac (which i like).

It's the same kind of unibody construction like the mac and it has black anodized aluminium.

The screen is a TN panel though, which sucks.

If you want a good panel the 13" retina macbook pro might be a good choice since it is an IPS, though that only has dual core cpus (i5/i7) available and no descrete graphics.

Apple are going to show of new macbook pros soon so if you can handle a macbook it might be worth the wait.

The new 13" retina macbooks will probably see an increase in battery life just like the macbook air got back at WWDC because of Mac OS 10.9 and the new haswell cpus.

They might even get IGZO panels and TB2 if you care about that.

The 14" blade only has about 5-5.5 hours of battery with only using the cpu. its 2-3 while using the 765m + the cpu.

The 13" retina macbook pro has 6-6.5 using the cpu. Will probably go up to 7-8 hours with the release of haswell and Mac OS 10.9.

The 13" macbook air really shines with its battery life (12 hours) and low weight.

But also with getting these computers, especially apples, getting a 512GB SSD will cost alot of money.

Since the weight is important:

Macbook pro retina 13" 1.6 kg
Macbook air 13" 1.1 kg
Razer blade 14" 1.9 kg

Apple is a brand that meets alot of what you want. Apple are not the spawn of satan, HP are.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#3Garhinder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 10:39:28 AM
Thanks for the information, I'll check out the Razer Blade. And yeah, HP is my personal most hated PC/laptop brand. The crappiness of their products know no bounds.

I know that the SSD will be the most expensive part, but I'm willing to part with the $300-$400 that it will cost me.

Are there any dates set for the reveal of the new Macbook Pros? I have high hopes for those.
#4Loserman15Posted 9/14/2013 10:39:43 AM
I think that a Macbook Pro would be what you want. That SSD is going to cost you though.
#5wassup3Posted 9/14/2013 10:41:19 AM
Usually, when people are looking for alternatives to Macbook Air, I usually suggest looking at the Lenovo X1 Carbon
---
"I can drive my hummer through your loophole."-Arnold S.
"Guiliani says three things in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and 9/11"-Joe Biden
#6greenyoshi46Posted 9/14/2013 10:42:04 AM
People are saying Mid-October for the new macbook pros. Which would make sense by apples product cycles. The last time they released pros was in like march.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#7XNo_FearXPosted 9/14/2013 10:42:47 AM
you should look at the Asus Zenbook Prime
---
PSN ID: Ctx_Ghost
Counter-Strike is the only good multiplayer game because it isnt bs like most other online games. BF is cool too
#8GipFacePosted 9/14/2013 10:50:55 AM(edited)
If you want 7 hour battery life, the Sony Vaio Pro 13 is pretty much the only one that does it in an ultrabook form factor. It's actually lighter than the Macbook Air 13. With the optional battery sheet, it weighs just as much as the Macbook Air 13 and will double the battery life to 14 hours.

A Sony Vaio Pro 13 with an i7, 8GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and the extended battery will set you back nearly $2000.
#9wassup3Posted 9/14/2013 10:45:08 AM
Unless you need 512GB all the time, I would lower that and just get a external hard disks. They're going for around 200 on newegg and most of these ultrabooks usually use mSATA form factors, which are even more expensive on top of the overhead companies usually put on these laptops.
---
"I can drive my hummer through your loophole."-Arnold S.
"Guiliani says three things in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and 9/11"-Joe Biden
#10Garhinder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 10:58:56 AM
GipFace posted...
If you want 7 hour battery life, the Sony Vaio Pro 13 is pretty much the only one that does it in an ultrabook form factor. It's actually lighter than the Macbook Air 13. With the optional battery sheet, it weighs just as much as the Macbook Air 13 and will double the battery life to 14 hours.

A Sony Vaio Pro 13 with an i7, 8GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, and the extended battery will set you back nearly $2000.

This one is pretty good, actually. I'll just have to compare prices and specs. Thanks.

wassup3 posted...
Unless you need 512GB all the time, I would lower that and just get a external hard disks. They're going for around 200 on newegg and most of these ultrabooks usually use mSATA form factors, which are even more expensive on top of the overhead companies usually put on these laptops.

I know it will be expensive, but I need the 512 GB. I will be running at the very least, 2 OS (Mac OSX & Windows, or Windows / Linux distro), each with its own share of software. If I could, I would get 1 TB, but I'll make do with 512 and some external 1TB hard drives.