This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

computer freezes up when SSD is on full load occasionally

#1wassup3Posted 9/14/2013 9:11:41 AM
I've been experiencing this problem for quite a while now on both of my computers and have no clue what's causing it.

Desktop has a Intel SSD running win8 (though it happened back with win7 too, so I doubt that's the problem).
Laptop has a Mushkin Chronos SSD also running win8 (again, happened back in win7 too)

What happens?
SSD will go into full load when it seems like the SSD needs full load, but sometimes, nothing really happens and it goes full load. Whenever this happens though, the SSD is listed at 100% usage (according to task manager) and when this happens, I can't do anything beyond moving the mouse around. On magnetic hard disks, I don't remember whether or not it ever goes to 100%, but it never freezes up the OS.

Things I have tried:
- Updated firmware to latest version
- Enabled AHCI on both OS and BIOS (various programs confirmed this)
- Turn off the setting that turns off hard disks after certain period of time
- Turned off paging
- Desktop has Intel toolbox that runs some sort of TRIM maintenance once a week. Is not happening exclusively on this time.

Anything else I should try? Thanks in advance.
---
"I can drive my hummer through your loophole."-Arnold S.
"Guiliani says three things in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and 9/11"-Joe Biden
#2BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 9/14/2013 9:52:55 AM
Does it only temporarily freeze or do you have to reset your PC?

I had an issue where I would freeze and still be able to use my mouse, but when I would click things, nothing would really happen. My HDD light was solid, so it was doing something, but after about a minute, it would unfreeze. I have an Intel 520 series SSD, btw.
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#3Snuckie7Posted 9/14/2013 10:07:33 AM
What does the entry in the Event Viewer say? I had a similar problem when I built my computer and I had to disable Intel Rapid Storage Technology to fix it. Took a hit to my read/write speeds but oh well.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#4wassup3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 11:55:38 AM
BIGGESTPS3FAN posted...
Does it only temporarily freeze or do you have to reset your PC?

I had an issue where I would freeze and still be able to use my mouse, but when I would click things, nothing would really happen. My HDD light was solid, so it was doing something, but after about a minute, it would unfreeze. I have an Intel 520 series SSD, btw.

Pretty much this on both.

"What does the entry in the Event Viewer say? I had a similar problem when I built my computer and I had to disable Intel Rapid Storage Technology to fix it. Took a hit to my read/write speeds but oh well."

I'll give this a try.
---
#5wassup3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 1:31:47 PM
During the last freeze, I see four warnings on the event viewer.

Three of them are from storeahci, and one from disk.
1) Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued (storeachi)
2) Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued (storeachi)
3) The IO operation at logical block address 138a092 for Disk 0 was retried (disk)
4) Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued (storeachi)
---
#6Snuckie7Posted 9/14/2013 1:39:42 PM
Yup, those are the exact errors I had. Get rid of IRST if you have it installed.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#7wassup3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 3:03:45 PM
I haven't installed Intel RST on either. I tried out turning off the power saving mode for PCI-e, but so far on my desktop, it's still there. Not happening on laptop so far.
---
#8wassup3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:32:42 PM
Anyway, Downloaded and installed the chipset drivers and storage controller drivers for the motherboard. It seems to be working so far. I'll check back in a few days. Hopefully, it's gone.
---