This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

From a technical standpoint, is "PhoneBloks" even possible?

#1iscareu13Posted 9/14/2013 5:33:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

Coming from building custom computers and working with electronics all my life, I think this idea is really cool.

That being said, it doesn't look like it would actually be possible?

If this is possible, do you think computers will eventually move towards technology like this, especially tablets?
#2urtvPosted 9/14/2013 5:39:43 PM
seems possible
#3fataliPosted 9/14/2013 5:42:49 PM
Possible yes, but doable... I don't think so, it would disrupt the business scheme of all phone companies, they would make deals with any company that could make the parts needed for the blocks so they won't make them.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4Damaged7Posted 9/14/2013 5:44:08 PM
Definatly a cool concept. Probably make running different apps a pain because everyones phone is gonna be different. Some are faster, some slower, some more powerfull.
---
Bold Text
#5g7g7g7g7Posted 9/14/2013 6:27:16 PM
From an engineering standpoint it is possible.

From every other standpoint it is a total waste of time.

They will have a hard time getting a phone manufacturer to design and build and sell individual components specially designed to run on an open source platform rather than continue to promote their own whole handsets.With how complicated and interconnected through patent sharing building phones already is, this is a non starter.

It seems a ridiculous idea to reduce waste, what happens when phonebloks 2 comes out.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#6CC RicersPosted 9/14/2013 6:39:34 PM
Damaged7 posted...
Definatly a cool concept. Probably make running different apps a pain because everyones phone is gonna be different. Some are faster, some slower, some more powerfull.

That already describes the Android phones and their fragmented marketplace, both with the OS versions and the hardware running it.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#7SlaynPosted 9/14/2013 6:39:42 PM
Just some guy wanting to make money, move along, nothing to see here.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#8DerPancakePosted 9/14/2013 6:45:18 PM
Slayn posted...

Thats the point of coming up with new ideas...
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#9Solid_FakePosted 9/14/2013 6:49:59 PM
This or something similar to this will likely be the way of the future, at least for a few years.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#10xanthan1Posted 9/14/2013 9:17:00 PM
Slayn posted...

Yes, because a guy can't want to make a phone easier to keep longer without it being horribly outdated.