This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone tried Kerbal Space Program?

#11UberLurkerPosted 9/15/2013 10:15:32 AM(edited)
I absolutely love this game, it requires a good amount of forethought and effort to get anything done but you are rewarded with a fulfilling sense of accomplishment.

The best metaphor I've heard to describe it is that Kerbal is like playing with Legos loaded with rocket fuel. Building rockets is pretty straightforward as you're given a bunch of different rocket parts and its up to you to figure out if your creation has the right balance of fuel, impulse, mass, and aerodynamics to get the job done. You will most likely blow up a lot of hardware but the failures are part of the fun because some can be quite spectacular!

Be aware that the game is 100% sandbox though, there are no objectives except for the implied directive to go and see what's out there beyond Kerbin. If you're one of those types that needs to know what to do or where to go then you might not get much out of it.

I will tell you that its the scenery and vistas that do it for me... the stark beauty standing on the surface of Mun gazing up at Kerbin, watching Jool slowly take up most of the view on approach to the Joolian system, the cold and lonely feeling you get out on Eeloo looking back towards the sun... its just awesome =D
#12Damaged7Posted 9/15/2013 10:17:51 AM
I'd recomend not getting mechjeb. Try the game out, watch a few tutorials and learn how to actually play the game and fly the crafts and do manuevers.

Then go with MechJeb. That way if it fails, you still know what to do and you're not just sitting there watching the game play itself for you.
---
Bold Text
#13Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 11:02:04 AM
I decided to pull the trigger since it was on sale. It just looks too fun to pass up. Thanks for your input.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#14CC RicersPosted 9/15/2013 11:05:13 AM
I follow SpaceX and other private space travel enterprise a lot, so kind of odd that I still have KSP on my backlog.

I hope I would be able to create re-usable rockets :P
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#15KilronPosted 9/15/2013 11:18:16 AM
Nicodimus posted...
The board is pretty dead for it, but it's on sale on Steam and it looks interesting.

Nobody goes to GameFAQs for KSP. They either go to the official forums or the steam discussions. In fact, I'm noticing a lot more PC exclusive games getting zero activity on GFAQs these days.

But it's good you picked the game up. Just don't do anything super advanced ( such as building a huuuge space station in orbit), updates may break your save. You'll keep your rockets and planes you built though, if you copy them from the ships folder.

CC Ricers posted...

You can. Docking ports allow you to transfer fuel between ships. You'd be putting a "gas station" in orbit around Kerbin of course since most fuel gets used up just trying to even get to orbit.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#16arleasPosted 9/15/2013 11:44:43 AM
I'm noticing a lot more PC exclusive games getting zero activity on GFAQs these days.

Not surprising. I feel like gamefaqs has always been behind the times when it comes to forums, but then you add in the mentality of most people here and that's just another reason to find a better place to ask your questions...especially if you have an actual question and not just "so how many people think that this character is better than that character?" or social type topics like that...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#17CC RicersPosted 9/19/2013 11:44:31 AM
Kilron posted...
CC Ricers posted...

You can. Docking ports allow you to transfer fuel between ships. You'd be putting a "gas station" in orbit around Kerbin of course since most fuel gets used up just trying to even get to orbit.

Well actually, what I wanted to do is build a rocket where the first and second stages, do a 180 in space after they cut the main engines and detach, then re-ignite the engines firing in the opposite direction for a controlled descent back to the planet.

That probably sounds a lot harder technically than doing a fuel transfer in orbit.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#18WyzeGyePosted 9/19/2013 12:17:09 PM
I've still not made it to Mun... is what was previously mentioned about mechjeb or whatever it's called true? I'm doing straight up vanilla, then again, mybe my rocket building isnt up to snuff.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#19wizardmonPosted 9/19/2013 12:21:04 PM
WyzeGye posted...
I've still not made it to Mun... is what was previously mentioned about mechjeb or whatever it's called true? I'm doing straight up vanilla, then again, mybe my rocket building isnt up to snuff.

My first 19 or so attempts at landing on the Mun resulted in me slamming into it at high speeds, rocketing off into space, and getting one kerbal in a EVO into orbit of the Mun.

He keeps an eye on things for me.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#20Knighted DragonPosted 9/19/2013 12:54:30 PM
Try the demo out, I was curious about it too but tried the demo and it wasn't for me.
A ton of people love it though

This. I was really excited when I heard about it and tried the demo out. Definitely curbed my interest in the game. It still sounds really fun, I don't know why I didn't like it, I usually love games that take long amounts of time to get good at, but that game was just not for me at all.
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg