This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good fighting systems...name them.

#31dekouPosted 9/16/2013 8:32:39 AM
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
#32NingishzidaPosted 9/16/2013 8:34:01 AM
Valkeerie posted...
Saturn and Dreamcast are some of the best fighting systems.

Neo Geo, too
#33CC RicersPosted 9/16/2013 8:36:10 AM
Devil May Cry series
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#34SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/16/2013 8:41:27 AM
ZeraphLordS posted...
Sienrurouni posted...
I love all the other combat systems listed but I've never really liked the Arkham combat system. It always felt kinda silly and way too simple and easy. Even Captain America's and Sleeping Dog's mild variations were better as they both added a little bit more complexity and it felt that it had a bit more impact.

Yes, it takes a good deal of skill to get a perfect string, but that never really seemed fun to me. Not like effectively using moves in any of the other games listed (such as DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter, and Bayonetta.) I've just never really gotten the love it gets.

I never understood that either. Asscreed, Batman and Dogs all bored me silly. The thing I liked the least was how the enemies attacked as a hivemind-swarm, where enemies wait for others to take their turn, and always leave enough room to counter everything (the windows were huge too).

Also a big fan of DMC3/4 and DkS. Haven't tried MH yet, but I wasn't really a fan of Ninja Gaiden (only played the most recent one I think). Maybe you get used to it, but it felt a bit messy.

Have you tried it with the counter notifications turned off?

That's a lot of fun, especially since there are different counter-inputs depending on what the enemy is using.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#35El_KazPosted 9/16/2013 10:23:54 AM
Condemned had a pretty interesting melee combat system.
Smacking a crazed hobo in the face with a shovel... you really FELT it, viscerally >_>
---
Wait... what?
#36UberLurkerPosted 9/16/2013 11:27:15 AM
Ningishzida posted...
Valkeerie posted...
Saturn and Dreamcast are some of the best fighting systems.

Neo Geo, too

^ This, so much this, especially considering that a good number of the fighters on SS/DC were Neo Geo ports... I should know, I had a Neo after all (in addition to a Saturn and DC)! The Neo Geo was a 2D killing machine, its sprite pushing power was unrivaled and as such it had great fighters that made the best of this ability.

On Topic:

My nostalgic vote goes to the Tobal series. There is a special place in my heart for Tobal 2 that will never ever be taken up by any other game, it had a great fighting engine that nicely blended striking and grappling into one deliciously smooth mix... the (slightly goofy) Toriyama character designs were just icing on the cake.
#37pfantzypantzPosted 9/16/2013 11:42:09 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
ZeraphLordS posted...
Sienrurouni posted...
I love all the other combat systems listed but I've never really liked the Arkham combat system. It always felt kinda silly and way too simple and easy. Even Captain America's and Sleeping Dog's mild variations were better as they both added a little bit more complexity and it felt that it had a bit more impact.

Yes, it takes a good deal of skill to get a perfect string, but that never really seemed fun to me. Not like effectively using moves in any of the other games listed (such as DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter, and Bayonetta.) I've just never really gotten the love it gets.

I never understood that either. Asscreed, Batman and Dogs all bored me silly. The thing I liked the least was how the enemies attacked as a hivemind-swarm, where enemies wait for others to take their turn, and always leave enough room to counter everything (the windows were huge too).

Also a big fan of DMC3/4 and DkS. Haven't tried MH yet, but I wasn't really a fan of Ninja Gaiden (only played the most recent one I think). Maybe you get used to it, but it felt a bit messy.

Have you tried it with the counter notifications turned off?

That's a lot of fun, especially since there are different counter-inputs depending on what the enemy is using.

I hated that Arkham City forced you to use the notifications until you finished one playthrough, I turned them off in Asylum and had alot of fun.