This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Morrowind?

#1machetemanPosted 9/15/2013 6:58:18 AM
The only TES game I've actually beaten has been Skyrim. The Oblivion gates become way too tedious and think I just read the wikipedia for the story, but now that I'm a little bored, I'm wondering if I should play Morrowind?

I have the full game with the full graphical overhaul patch installed, so the game is certainly bearable on the eyes....but the combat is extremely lacking to me. Is it really worth a lengthy playthrough, or is nostalgia holding this game above all other TES?
#2ShubPosted 9/15/2013 7:02:05 AM
Absolutely... but don't expect the combat to be any good, that's not the focus of the game.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3Jprime666Posted 9/15/2013 7:10:06 AM
It has 2 things going for it. Nostalgia, which doesn't affect you in this case. And greater freedom than Skyrim.

Comparing Morrowind to Skyrim is sort of like Fallout 3 to New Vegas(If you played those)

In New Vegas you could just about anything you wanted, Morrowind is like that. All NPCs are killable, you can solve problems how you want to, you can go just about anywhere that you are physically able to.

Skyrim is more linear in this regard. Probably a third+ of the named NPCs are non-killable, almost all the quests have one and exactly one way of completion, and there a lot of areas that you can't go to until you start the quest for it. The quest for Azuras Star is one example of this. You can't access the whole dungeon unless you start the quest.

Ultimately the question here is whether or not you feel that this enhanced freedom is worth the tradeoff for poorer gameplay.

I personally couldn't get into Morrowind. I love New Vegas and I loved how much freedom Morrowind offered, but the combat killed it for me. If you can get over that, then you'll love Morrowind.

I hope that Bethesdas next game (FO4 most likely) takes lessons from Morrowind and New Vegas, and allows for that greater freedom again.

Yes I know Beth didn't make FO:NV
---
How many emotions is people?
#4NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 7:17:13 AM(edited)
there's no reason to play the overrated Morrowind if you haven't played the obscenely underrated Gothic 2: NotR, which is vastly superior.

Morrowind is overall the best TES but Gothic 2: NotR defecates on it

oh, and the first two Gothic games actually have decent combat. Gothic 3 only has decent combat with the Community mod that allows for alternative balancing and new melee AI
#5blade6321Posted 9/15/2013 7:19:02 AM(edited)
macheteman posted...
The Oblivion gates become way too tedious

Morrowind is, in its own way, very tedious.

Its archaic combat system means combat still has the old "DnD" chance system so if you're a low level you'll miss most of your attacks.

But the game gives you much greater freedom and immersion, and there's way more weapons/spells.

And the loot system is decent

Get some graphical mods to make it look less ugly and try it if you really want

You probably won't be able to get into it, especially if you've never played it before. Honestly it's not aged too well.

Jprime666 posted...

Comparing Morrowind to Skyrim is sort of like Fallout 3 to New Vegas(If you played those)

No it's not

Fallout
Same engine
3 is inferior in almost every way

Elder scrolls
Different engine
Skyrim looks way better, combat is less tedious, more casual
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#6macheteman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 7:18:38 AM
One of the things that bugged me I guess with both Morrowind and Oblivion was the lack of "abilities" and "perks". I love RPGs and the leveling experience, but when leveling is only rewarded with marginally noticeable skill-ups (and not actual new abilities and talents like Skyrim), I find very little reward in the leveling system.

I guess I'm too new school in this regard
#7NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 7:21:56 AM
macheteman posted...
I guess I'm too new school in this regard

umm, no

perks are from Fallout 1 (1997) and copied by Bethesda for Fallout 3, then also used in Skyrim

Nothing new school about perks/feats/talents
#8NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 7:25:56 AM
macheteman posted...
One of the things that bugged me I guess with both Morrowind and Oblivion was the lack of "abilities" and "perks".

also, while Oblibious didn't have level perks, it did have passive perks that activated at certain levels of skill:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Skill_Perks
#9Jprime666Posted 9/15/2013 7:27:39 AM
blade6321 posted...
macheteman posted...
The Oblivion gates become way too tedious

Morrowind is, in its own way, very tedious.

Its archaic combat system means combat still has the old "DnD" chance system so if you're a low level you'll miss most of your attacks.

But the game gives you much greater freedom and immersion, and there's way more weapons/spells.

And the loot system is decent

Get some graphical mods to make it look less ugly and try it if you really want

You probably won't be able to get into it, especially if you've never played it before. Honestly it's not aged too well.

Jprime666 posted...

No it's not

Fallout
Same engine
3 is inferior in almost every way

Elder scrolls
Different engine
Skyrim looks way better, combat is less tedious, more casual

I didn't say it was a perfect comparison. If you didn't have some sort of selective reading disorder then you would have seen the parts I compared. Let's not argue semantics. I understand that it's nerds favourite thing to do on message boards, but try not to this once.
---
How many emotions is people?
#10NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 7:32:26 AM
Jprime666 posted...
It has 2 things going for it. Nostalgia, which doesn't affect you in this case. And greater freedom than Skyrim.

Morrowind has more than that going for it, srubette