This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Morrowind?

#21kelemvorPosted 9/15/2013 8:54:09 AM
Ningishzida posted...
kelemvor posted...
Now everyone is talking about how overrated it is. How times change.

well, all bethesda game are overrated. they buy sandwiches for journalists before they review their games, and do blitzkrieg ad campaigns in every possible online/offline publication so that wherever the ignorant look, they see their inferior crap and go buy it

it's hard to not get GotY accolades when your focus is marketing first, and creating anything other than a skeletal framework for a game, last (moddability being their most cunning con).

i mention Morrowind as overrated in relation to the superior Gothic 2: NotR, which, from my vast experience, 2% of MW gamers have even played.

Utlima 7: The Black Gate as well. I think people forget about that game because Ultima 8 sucked so bad and everyone moved on to Bioware/Bethesda after that.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#22NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 9:00:05 AM
kelemvor posted...
Utlima 7: The Black Gate as well.

definitely
#23spud_almightyPosted 9/15/2013 9:03:36 AM
I wouldn't bother, the game has dated very badly. It's also not as good as some people tend to think it is. A great example of a game that fantastic at the time but only holds that reputation now because of nostalgia.

You might aswell stick to Skyrim, it's not much different.
#24jake-sfPosted 9/15/2013 9:05:03 AM
kelemvor posted...
Wow, it wasn't that long ago when the majority of gamers here on the PC board were raging Morrowind fanboys. Especially around 2011 when Skyrim came out.

Now everyone is talking about how overrated it is. How times change.

Bah, every single elder scrolls is massively overrated.

I mean, its funny people talk about Morrowind and its bad combat. Skyrim doesn't even have good gameplay! Its terrible. And they all have nothing redeeming in terms of itemization, or characters, or RPG mechanics. At the VERY least, I'd see zero reason to stick to Morrowind when its so blatantly inferior in all those aspects, and Skyrim might as well offer the slightest amount of satisfaction out of those.

But really, aren't you wanting to play those games purely for the sandbox aspect? There is no other reason to be playing them in the first place...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#25THE_WTF_PANDAPosted 9/15/2013 9:14:00 AM
Morrowind is great, but it's way more tedious than Oblivion and Skyrim. If you couldn't make it through those I doubt you'll have much fun with Morrowind. Although, I have to say, it is my favorite Elder Scrolls game because the story is so epic and filled with great lore and world building.
---
PSN ID The_WTF_Panda / Origins ID Thom_Thistle
Steam ID thewtfpanda / I need friends for BF3(PC)/Crysis3(PC)/KZ Mercs(PSV)
#26kelemvorPosted 9/15/2013 9:23:28 AM(edited)
Wow, so everyone is on the same page it seems. So far we all agree that:

- All TES games are overrated, yet decent games.
- Other games are underrated, but just as good or better than Morrowind.
- Morrowind is probably the best TES game.

I don't think Skyrim was the most hyped up and overrated RPG though. I'm thinking Fable, Dragon Age 2 or some other RPG wins that. At least Skyrim lived up to most of the hype. Thoughts?
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#27DiviDudePosted 9/15/2013 9:23:44 AM
kelemvor posted...
Morrowind is probably the best TES game.

I do not agree. I think that while Morrowind has higher peaks than the other TES games, it also has lower lows. And so I think they basically all average out to be just as mediocre as each other.
#28NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 11:33:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 11:35:24 PM
Morrowind has over Oblivion and Skyrim:

superior lore, world, characters, dungeon design, aesthetics, architecture diversity, UI, spell mechanix, feeling of vastness/aloneness, story, travel systems, writing quality, mystery, build complexity, exploration, loot system (i.e, not directly scaled to player level)

Oblivion and Skyrim have over Morrowind:

more bettah garfix brah, more visceral combat, and perks copied from 1997's Fallout 1 by Interplay.

awh yeah, Morrowind is easily the best TES game (relative to the time of it's release, and absolutely).

it's just that some scrubs can't get over teh garfix (and lack intelligence to mod it) and to-hit combat (why doz i miz dah NME, brah?)
#30NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 11:48:53 PM
DiviDude posted...
kelemvor posted...
Morrowind is probably the best TES game.

I do not agree. I think that while Morrowind has higher peaks than the other TES games, it also has lower lows.

lolyou

everytime you assert this i prompt you to back it up and you never do, i saved the topix you go silent in

how cowardly

And so I think they basically all average out to be just as mediocre as each other.

Morrowind is good, the other two are bad (made for consoles). Morrowind is only mediocre up against Gothic2: notr and several other non-TES RPGs.