This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Morrowind?

#31GhennkinsPosted 9/16/2013 1:47:41 AM
If you're not afraid to mod it, than it'll probably be the best free open world rpg you'll ever play.

I won't say much else because it looks like the anti elder scrolls squadron is on patrol. Morrowind and the expansions should be dirt cheap so it's definitely worth a go imho.
#32FeatherwindPosted 9/16/2013 4:11:58 AM
Yes definitely. Morrowind & the NWNs are easily better than any other single-player RPGs I've ever played. I like BG2:SoA a lot too but it doesn't even come close.

Morrowind is one of the very few AAA RPGs not made in the "excuse plot for you to kill stuff" style. I haven't played the Gone Home game but based on what I've heard from it Morrowind is more in that direction. The game doesn't really give you any goals and there is really no official reason to really do anything. Almost everything leaves a lot of room for imagination and things like the LGNPC mod. For example one of my favorite things in the game is seeing what stories the modders have made up for the NPCs that would seem important but who have received little to no official explanation from the devs at all. Like Dark Souls the world is very mysterious and "open" - it's not nearly as packaged as the worlds of many other games.

In my opinion the devs did make some bad decisions - the biggest of them and the one of the few which can't be fixed by mods are the expansion content. Still the expansions are necessary for the modding resources even if the content for the most part sucks.

The combat is not one of these flaws. At the core it's not really any worse than any other video game RPG combat. Some games like Dark Souls have taken steps to make this combat easier to balance and more challenging but this balancing comes with an opportunity cost. Most of the silly stuff like too slow "natural" leveling of several skills, the grindy and pointless ability score multipliers or too slow fatigue regen are easily fixed. The only thing it's really missing is the physics stuff from Oblivion and Skyrim (traps and Fus Ro Dah basically) and I think this is explained by the age of the game. Even in these games the physics effects are underused. And it has mechanics that very few modern games have such as the way jumping and levitate affect combat.

The combat mechanics are obviously gamey and thus not "immersive" but really I've yet to come across a game where the combat was "immersive" in this sense. Skyrim and Oblivion are just as bad in this regard as are other modern open world games like Far Cry 3.
#33TruthtelaPosted 9/16/2013 4:34:12 AM
I tried to play it around when oblivion came out, and I think because I played oblivion I couldn't get into morrowind. So heads up on that. Some things I didn't like/stopped me from getting into it was how slow you move, lack of any real direction to get you at least started on something, and navigating the world without really knowing anything about it. I would say combat, but everyone else already has, and to be perfectly honest you get just as used to it as the combat in oblivion after a little while.
---
How's your muffin?
#34dakondakbladePosted 9/16/2013 5:03:25 AM
I own all the Elderscroll games ( Including Red Guard ) and Morrowind is still my favorite one.

The story was very damn good for an RPG ( Didn't match Planescape Torment/Soul Reaver; but not many games can )

The combat was... lacking; but it was easily fixable with mods.
Ditto on the graphics.

What was amazing about Morrowind was the diverse amount of quests. I can count 10 guilds/questlines off the top of my head; and that's not counting the one's that I'm not thinking of and the ones added by Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

However, Morrowind introduced a very good story and fully immersed you in it. ( The story craps all over Skyrim's story; and I loved the hell out of Skyrim gamewise )

I'd say give it a shot.. It's a fun game; and it should be decently priced on steam atm.

Once you get tired of the base game; you can mod it to hell and back and essentially transform it into a new game, with better quests.

If you wait till October; The Elder Scrolls Anthology comes out. May as well just pick that up.

I will agree with what the other guy said in this topic though. Gothic 2 is one of the best series ever made. If you end up liking Gothic, check out Vampire Masquerades.
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet
#35MarceloSampaioPosted 9/16/2013 5:07:12 AM
blade6321 posted...
Elder scrolls
Different engine
Skyrim looks way better, combat is less tedious, more casual

Different engine?!? Really?!?

Nah man, Morrowind and Skyrim uses the same engine, just with many enhancements. But DOES use Gamebryo, the same as Skyrim.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#36RequiemPosted 9/16/2013 5:34:50 AM
It's a great game. The setting and how the story is told are probably the best in the series.

Unfortunately, the combat system is absolutely atrocious.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#37ShubPosted 9/16/2013 6:15:39 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Nah man, Morrowind and Skyrim uses the same engine, just with many enhancements. But DOES use Gamebryo, the same as Skyrim.

No... Morrowind and Oblivion use Gamebryo, Skyrim does not.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#38SinisterSlayPosted 9/16/2013 6:20:03 AM
Shub posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

I think Creation is just a modification and rebranding of gamebryo.

That being said, it's not the same engine if it's a new version of it. If we just considered them all the same engine because they were based on the same foundation...

Then every 4 cylinder car has the same engine, every v6 has the same engine, every v8 has the same engine. Why buy a Ferrari when you could get a grand prix? It's the same engine right?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#39MarceloSampaioPosted 9/16/2013 6:29:57 AM(edited)
Shub posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...

Creation engine IS Gamebryo. If you run a quick grep for the string “gamebryo” in Skyrim's executable file, you'll get 11 results. We can even see the version of Gamebryo that is attributed in the executable file.

The thing is: Beth made MANY tweaks and changes on the engine, and decided to name it differently, but Creation is, in its core, Gamebryo.

Surelly, its a VERY enhanced version of Gamebryo. But being the same engine, it has the same limitations and many of the same issues (and qualities, of course).

---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#40ShubPosted 9/16/2013 6:32:14 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Creation engine IS Gamebryo. If you run a quick grep for the string “gamebryo” in Skyrim's executable file, you'll get 11 results. We can even see the version of Gamebryo that is attributed in the executable file.

The thing is: Beth made MANY tweaks and changes on the engine, and decided to name it differently, but Creation is, in its core, Gamebryo.

Reusing old code that works in something new doesn't mean it's the same engine... or are you saying Half-Life 2 runs on the same engine as Quake 1?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.