This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is pirating a PC game and buying a PC game on eBay the same?

#1QUIKPosted 9/15/2013 9:09:12 AM
I used to pirate games up until I realized what im doing sucks. I hated the fact that it was just too easy today to pirate a game. It used to be much complicated where as you had to enter IRC rooms or AOL chat rooms and do all these little codes to get files. Now you just goto a website and click 2 buttons and your done. It really sucks because as an example look what Rockstar is doing to PC gamers, making us wait... Its killing the PC gaming industry. So I changed my mind on piracy a while back and stopped. Whenever my friend tells me he downloaded a new game it really frustrates me and I hope his internet and computer just breaks. He makes alot of money and he never in his life purchased a pc game.

My question is if there is a game I like and I want to save some money and purchase it off of eBay isnt it the same as pirating? I know if I purchase it from STEAM than the gaming company gets something but when I get it off eBay than noone benefits but me...is this true?
#2greenyoshi46Posted 9/15/2013 9:10:25 AM
I would say no because the påerson on ebay bought the game and sells it to another. the other person who put it up on the internet shares it to thousands of people.
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#3LordSeiferPosted 9/15/2013 9:11:33 AM(edited)
you could compare that to any other used item sale in the world vs theft

ie if you buy a used car on autotrader, honda gets no money.

but in the end at least someone paid for it
---
^ this
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/15/2013 9:12:36 AM
Wait, IRC was hard? Serious?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#5QUIK(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 9:13:49 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Wait, IRC was hard? Serious?

for someone who had no idea and were just learning yes it was hard. Try explaining to someone how to get files in IRC over a phone call as oppose to telling them to log into so and so website ..
#6BendoHendoPosted 9/15/2013 9:14:06 AM
Only one person can own a copy of the game at a time when you exchange it on eBay.

When you pirate a game, you enable thousands of people to simultaneously own the game.

I hate when people try to rationalize pirating. If you're going to pirate, pirate. But at least acknowledge that you know what you're doing is morally wrong.

--
#7sonicteam2k1Posted 9/15/2013 9:17:53 AM
no. I just bought a PC game from ebay new. so your topic sucks already.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#8QUIK(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 9:22:12 AM
im going to buy blacklist on ebay its like half the price...steam is way too expensive
#9somebody336Posted 9/15/2013 9:23:21 AM
k
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/15/2013 9:24:26 AM(edited)
No, The point is that for there to even be a secondhand market, people need to purchase the items and money goes to the company/companies responsible for putting it on the market.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H