This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is pirating a PC game and buying a PC game on eBay the same?

#11Orestes417Posted 9/15/2013 9:25:49 AM
Depends on if the game you're buying on ebay was pirated. That's been known to happen more than a few times. If it was a legit retail sale then only a complete cretin would compare it with piracy.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#12Man_called_WarPosted 9/15/2013 9:27:18 AM
In the terms of supporting the developers yes,
---
Even a stopped clock, tells the right time, twice a day.
#13Orestes417Posted 9/15/2013 9:29:14 AM
Man_called_War posted...

Because the developers weren't paid everything they were entitled to in the initial sale? Oh wait... Gaming is a business, not welfare. The publishers aren't entitled to double dip just because their products lack lasting appeal.
---
#14BlueRamzaPosted 9/15/2013 9:33:46 AM
It's legal, just make sure the games box is the original box before you buy. Some ebay auctions are illegally burn games on burned disks.

However, it is easy to tell a fake from the original, as the fakes never come with the original manual or box.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#15Man_called_WarPosted 9/15/2013 9:54:11 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...

Because the developers weren't paid everything they were entitled to in the initial sale? Oh wait... Gaming is a business, not welfare. The publishers aren't entitled to double dip just because their products lack lasting appeal.

So by that logic, what's the difference between one person buying a game, which then changes hands 10 times, and one person buying a game and letting 10 other people download it for free? The devs got the initial sale either way.
---
#16datopgamerPosted 9/15/2013 9:54:22 AM
QUIK posted...
im going to buy blacklist on ebay its like half the price...steam is way too expensive

I bought the game from Amazon yesterday and got it for $18, you might wanna check there to see if they have another.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#17Orestes417Posted 9/15/2013 10:05:23 AM
Man_called_War posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...

So by that logic, what's the difference between one person buying a game, which then changes hands 10 times, and one person buying a game and letting 10 other people download it for free? The devs got the initial sale either way.

One legit copy existing vs 1 legit copy and 10 bootlegs. It's not rocket science.
---
#18Man_called_WarPosted 9/15/2013 10:46:16 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...

One legit copy existing vs 1 legit copy and 10 bootlegs. It's not rocket science.

They're both still 10 people playing a game one has paid for. From the view of supporting the games industry (what the TC seemed to be concerned about) it's the same thing.
---
#19Orestes417Posted 9/15/2013 10:58:10 AM(edited)
Man_called_War posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Man_called_War posted...

They're both still 10 people playing a game one has paid for. From the view of supporting the games industry (what the TC seemed to be concerned about) it's the same thing.

So what? Like I said, I don't have a "Publisher welfare department" sign above my door and neither do you. They sell a product, if they can't convince the people who buy that product not to resell it 15 minutes after they beat it it's their problem, not ours. They get paid what they're entitled per copy, they should be goddamned thankful they get that.
---
#20Damaged7Posted 9/15/2013 1:20:58 PM
Any of you people who have bought a game and then lent it out to a friend is supporting piracy. You should be ashamed of youselves, you are just as dirty as every other pirate out there.
---
Bold Text