This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is pirating a PC game and buying a PC game on eBay the same?

#21strongo9Posted 9/15/2013 12:38:42 PM
The publishers don't get money either way.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#22_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/15/2013 4:22:47 PM(edited)
People are coming up with theoretical situations to fit their arguments. In reality, when a game is bought it generally does not change hands 10 times or more. While when a game is available for download via torrent or otherwise, there are hundreds, sometimes thousands that download it.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#23NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 6:11:37 PM
piracy stimulates game sales

game industry wouldn't exist without it
#24MarikhenPosted 9/19/2013 5:53:19 PM
Orestes417 posted...
One legit copy existing vs 1 legit copy and 10 bootlegs. It's not rocket science.

Why do you presume that the PC gamers who bought physical copies of the game uninstalled it before selling the disc(s) to someone else?
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#25xanthan1Posted 9/19/2013 5:56:56 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
piracy stimulates game sales

game industry wouldn't exist without it

Except no, if people couldn't steal games people would still buy them. To think piracy is required for the industry to exist at all is stupid as hell.
#26MarikhenPosted 9/19/2013 5:58:54 PM
xanthan1 posted...

Except no, if people couldn't steal games people would still buy them. To think piracy is required for the industry to exist at all is stupid as hell.

Not as stupid as thinking that duplicating something is theft...
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#27xanthan1Posted 9/19/2013 6:00:59 PM
Marikhen posted...
xanthan1 posted...

Yeah yeah semantics, do you have a better word for getting a product without paying for it? Or a point besides nitpicking to your post?
#28ThunderPotatoPosted 9/19/2013 6:13:51 PM
Yes, its the same. No one cares about a secondhand market for digital media. Either way you're not giving money to anyone important.
---
Graphics matter until PC is brought up.
#29TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/19/2013 6:19:28 PM
Marikhen posted...
xanthan1 posted...

Theft of sales.

Sure, not everyone that would pirate a game would have bought it if there was no way to pirate it (lack of money or interest, for example), but you can't deny that there are people that pirate just because they can. I've done it before, I've had friends that have done it before, etc.

Also, I don't think buying a game on eBay would be near as bad as pirating, unless it's a used game. If it's a game code that hasn't been used (like the AMD/Nvidia codes), then it's not as bad. The seller is still getting money for something they got for free, but it's not like they're getting to play it and so is the person that's buying it from them. Also, it was originally part of something that the developers agreed on.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#30lionheart5656Posted 9/19/2013 6:19:47 PM
No but the effect on the developer is the same.

Not that it matters. Video game developers are the only man babies on earth who complain about one person selling their used goods to someone else.

No other industry cares at all. It is expected and the norm.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.