This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully

#1jakeDiLLaPosted 9/15/2013 12:21:23 PM
So I'm trying to get this old workstation PC up and running again, but it freezes whenever I get to this screen. The timer won't count down. The model is Compaq D510, but that's probably not much help in this case.

What I need to know and would be very grateful for, are any ideas as to why it freezes at this screen, or if I can bypass it totally, because it DID boot successfully before, but I obviously didn't shut it down correctly and now it just freezes here when I try to boot from the HDD.

I know I can reformat, reinstall, etc etc. but for the sake of easiness in getting it to boot. Is there something I can do to get rid of this screen and then get into Windows XP?

One other thing to note whch MAY or may NOT help: it will not boot past BIOS if the floppy drive isn't connected, and there's no option to disable it in the BIOS from what I've checked (ie every option)

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas at all, this isn't really a big deal but it just seems like something obvious that someone with more knowledge than me would know, and I need that info lol.
---
i5 3570k / Gigabyte 7970 WF3 3GB / 8GB DDR3 / 120GB SSD
#2AzurexNightmarePosted 9/15/2013 12:26:39 PM
what are you going to do on it? Run The Witcher 2 on max?
---
PS3/Vita ID and 3DS FC in About Me
Digimon World 1 Remake on 3DS only 15k needed to localize https://www.facebook.com/OperationDecode
#3mrCubePosted 9/15/2013 12:27:08 PM
You can try a repair installation if you have an XP disk
---
---
#4ThePlasmaStormPosted 9/15/2013 12:30:54 PM
...floppy drive?
---
`._Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow_.
http://i.imgur.com/k8Sb2kC.png
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/15/2013 12:32:54 PM
Sounds like your HDD might be bork...
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#6AzurexNightmarePosted 9/15/2013 12:35:23 PM
Maybe he can run Duke Nukem 3D or Jazz Jackrabbit on max settings guys
---
PS3/Vita ID and 3DS FC in About Me
Digimon World 1 Remake on 3DS only 15k needed to localize https://www.facebook.com/OperationDecode
#7OmegaDL50Posted 9/15/2013 1:10:15 PM
Oh wow, I just did a Google search on this thing, talk about archaic.

The thing only has an AGP 4x slot..not even an 8x.

It's very well possible the HDD is going considering how old the thing is (Since that model debuted in May 2002 it's over 11 years old)

The HDD for the unit is most definitely an IDE / PATA. Hell one is probably more likely to buy one of the no-name budget android tablets with an HDMI port and USB OTG and plug in a keyboard and mouse and that would be massively faster at the cost of tracking down a decent PATA drive.
---
Intel i5 3570k | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 | MSI Twin Frozr III HD7950 | Rosewill Capstone 550M | Rosewill Blackhawk | 500GB Seagate | WD 250GB | ASRock Z77 Pro3
#8jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 2:01:31 PM
Believe me, I was surprised when I actually got it to boot up... that one time... then I shut down, moved some parts in/out, and now it's back to how it was when it DID boot and I get this, because I've had to turn it off when it freezes during boot.

Why do I wanna mess with this? Well I've chose comp service tech as my career and it's good practice. This is a friend's old.. OLD (you should've seen the dust I had to clean out) computer that I want to get up and running. It's a good challenge IMO.

I doubt it's the HDD, since I've had it work on other computers... it will show up in device manager, and I can explore the files and whatnot... just won't boot on this machine and I'd rather keep trying if theres a solution that doesn't involve a fresh install on a diff. HDD.
---
#9JKatarnPosted 9/15/2013 2:36:30 PM(edited)
AzurexNightmare posted...
Maybe he can run Duke Nukem 3D or Jazz Jackrabbit on max settings guys

I believe TC is looking for constructive ideas, not weak attempts at humor to increase your post count.
If the drive won't boot there's a good possibility the boot sector/file table is screwed up to some degree preventing Windows from loading one or more of the system files it needs to start up. You could try connecting it as a secondary drive to another computer and running scandisk, or some other disk utility on it to try to repair sections of the drive if possible, barring that (and assuming the drive is mechanically OK, which it seems to be as you can browse the drive when it's not a boot drive), your best option is to just wipe the drive and start over.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#10jakeDiLLa(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 3:55:38 PM
Thanks JKatarn, I'll do exactly that
---