This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Differences in 4x space games?

#12_Cold_HandsPosted 9/15/2013 11:36:40 AM
I'm in need of some recommendations for a Space Strategy game. Here are some of the things I'm looking for:
-Avid fan of Civilization5, but I'd like something with more emphasis on war and unit customization(ships). A little less to do with city maintenance.
-Not a fan of RTS, I get overwhelmed when I can't pause and take a breather, I would much rather have a turn-based system.
-I'm pretty casual, starting on easy and working my way up is preferable. Not too worried about AI being dumb, but I'd rather not face an infinite line of enemies going from normal to hard.
-Being able to customize my own games would be a big plus.
-Mainly looking for a single player game, if it has multiplayer that's fine.
-Would be great if I could buy off of Steam!

After browsing Steam and reading the boards here, I've been looking at Armada 2526, Sins of a solar empire: Rebellion(RTS), Horizon, Stardrive(RTS), and Sword of the Stars 2.

But I'm not sure which, if any, fits what I'm looking for. Or whether I'm better off sticking with Civ 5. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
---
PSN- Cold_Hands
#2wdfosterPosted 9/15/2013 11:50:10 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire is awesome. Its not turn based, but I would say its pretty evenly split between combat and management.

If I were you though, I would buy Endless Space. That game is Civ 5 in space basically. Its my favorite 4X space game, and it just got a nice update. I plan on getting back to it in the future.
---
Steam ID - Madmartigan
#3Knight2520Posted 9/15/2013 11:52:45 AM
To add to Sins, you can pause that whenever you want. It's an excellent game.
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/15/2013 11:54:07 AM
You can get Alpha Centauri on gog along with its expansion. There's a lot of unit customization and it plays quite similarly to Civ
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#5ggf162Posted 9/15/2013 12:04:01 PM
Master of Orion 1+2 are really good 4X space games
---
My name is Ivan I like you
#6synthetiksinPosted 9/15/2013 12:06:00 PM
Sins is an amazing game but it is RTS.
#7Po-RayuPosted 9/15/2013 12:07:28 PM
Endless Space (:
---
27" 2012 iMac | 3.4 ghz i7 Quad Core | 2 GB Dedicated Graphics Card | 32 GB Ram | 3 TB Fusion Drive
#8ElDudorinoPosted 9/15/2013 12:17:40 PM
Master of Orion 2. Your main focus will be on war if you make your race repulsive! Actually, I think Repulsive is kind of an advantage in some ways because diplomacy goes out the window. If you make your race creative you don't need to trade techs anyway. I love playing on Impossible as a repulsive, creative lithovore species. To be fair, I'll only win if I start in a corner, though, as opposed to surrounded with AI on multiple sides. And if I meet another lithovore species (silicoids), AWESOME, free lithovore slaves!!

Love Master of Orion 2. I tried to move on to Galactic Civilizations 2 at one point but I could NOT figure out what people like about that game.
#9ElDudorinoPosted 9/15/2013 12:19:06 PM
synthetiksin posted...
Sins is an amazing game but it is RTS.

Although this is true, and may disqualify the game, I find it doesn't have the fast pace of many other RTS games. It's like an RTS where planning beats crazy clicking. At least from what I'd played and remember.
#102_Cold_Hands(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 1:00:53 PM
Thank you, for all the responses. I'm definitely going to look into Endless Space, I've just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHLzr-eyKE and it's peaked my curiosity. But I am also looking into Sins, and the battles do look cool if not a little hectic.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
---
PSN- Cold_Hands