This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help concerning speed testing my Internet speed...

#1The_Dark_HadouPosted 9/15/2013 2:58:53 PM
I have comcast. When I speed test my connection with my modem connected directly to the computer, I get about 90 Mbps. When I connect it to my router, then router to PC, I get about 30 Mbps. I understand the router splits the connection to other connected devices but I had no other devices connected to the router via wifi. Is my router limiting my connection speed and not giving me the high speed my Internet is capable of? My router I have is the linksys wrt54gs, which is an older router that has a max Mbps of 54...? (Not sure this is entirely correct as I could not find the info) I want to get a newer router but only if my old router is limiting my speed.
---
"Go home and be a family man!"
#2LordSeiferPosted 9/15/2013 3:13:50 PM
yeah it sounds like your old router is limiting your speed
---
^ this
#3reincarnator07Posted 9/15/2013 3:39:52 PM
Are you using wifi to connect? That's about the right speed for that,
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#4The_Dark_Hadou(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 4:40:36 PM
Quote:Are you using wifi to connect? That's about the right speed for that,
@reincarnator07

For my main desktop, I have it connected via router/modem setup and testing the speed on that computer, not through wifi, and it gives me about 30 Mbps(With no other devices connected on wifi). Directly from PC to modem gives me about 90 Mbps.
---
#5The_Dark_Hadou(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 7:38:56 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I think it might be the router but I'm not sure. Anymore opinions on this matter?
---
#6datopgamerPosted 9/16/2013 7:55:39 PM
with that speed you might wanna invest in a newer router.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#7The_Dark_Hadou(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 9:39:51 PM
Quote:with that speed you might wanna invest in a newer router.
@datopgamer

So it really is my router then?
---