This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it true that SSD do not need to be defragmented?

#1LiL_JiggaPosted 9/15/2013 2:09:55 PM
Just want to make sure.
---
"More importantly, there is a way to be cocky without being an insufferable ****. I am the perfect example of such a well-balanced being." -Yamachan
#2steveboblarryPosted 9/15/2013 2:12:19 PM
Yes. Do not defrag your ssd
---
Drake the type of dude to call the cops because a girl stole his virginity.
#3WerdnAndreWPosted 9/15/2013 2:14:01 PM
No point in defragging because it can access files very quickly. I'm not sure if defragging actually harms a ssd, it just does writes/reads that aren't necessary.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#4Orestes417Posted 9/15/2013 2:14:58 PM
Not only do they not need to be defragmented, it's harmful to the drive to be defragmented. Windows 8 actually won't allow a real defragment on a SSD through the built in tools.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#5NingishzidaPosted 9/15/2013 5:08:52 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
I'm not sure if defragging actually harms a ssd, it just does writes/reads that aren't necessary.

which wears the drive out faster than HDDs due to the nature of SSDs and they don't even benefit from contiguity also because of their nature
#6OmegaDL50Posted 9/15/2013 5:18:16 PM
Ningishzida posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
I'm not sure if defragging actually harms a ssd, it just does writes/reads that aren't necessary.

which wears the drive out faster than HDDs due to the nature of SSDs and they don't even benefit from contiguity also because of their nature

This.

HDDs need to be defragged because the data is layered on disc like platters which arm goes back and forth several thousand times a second to read the data. Data is split into blocks called sectors.

Fragmentation occurs when you delete and move files off your HDD the sectors open up and new data is put into it's place causing gaps in contiguity hence "fragments"

An SSD never needs to be defragged because the data is split across several flash memory chips that consists of it's storage.

If you want to improve the efficiency of a SSD use a TRIM utility.
---
Intel i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 | MSI TF3 HD7950 | PS2 | Xbox | PS3 | Wii U | PSP | DS
Gaming is about fun, not company loyalty or close minded platform worship