This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do Rayman, Soul Reaver and Descent series play on PC?

#1ValkeeriePosted 9/15/2013 3:14:01 PM
I really want to play these again, but I only remember having played Rayman and Soul Reaver on a Dreamcast. Do the PC downloadable versions have controller support? About Descent 3, what is the best way to play it (if they allow controller support, that is). I want to get this because from what I read it is easier than Descent 2 and has aged better in terms of looks, both which could make Descent 2 unplayable to me now (I played it with a joystick).
---
If there was no entry in the Past of whatever I will become,
Then I travelled to the Future the moment that I was gone!
#2Valkeerie(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 3:23:11 PM
Bump. There must be someone out there who has played these. (crosses fingers)
---
#3Man_called_WarPosted 9/15/2013 3:42:38 PM
With both Soul Reaver games (GOG versions) gamepad support is a little buggy on a xbox controller, you pretty much need to use xpadder of joy2key.
---
Even a stopped clock, tells the right time, twice a day.
#4UberLurkerPosted 9/15/2013 3:54:02 PM
You can definitely play the Descents via controller if you wish, I remember doing so in D1 and D2.

That being said, I preferred straight up keyboard, without mouse even... yes, insane, I know.
#5kobalobasileusPosted 9/15/2013 4:04:24 PM
I haven't played these specific games, but Xpadder is your friend. That cheap little program can make ANY game playable with a controller... with customization!
#6CircleOfManiasPosted 9/15/2013 9:41:13 PM
Play the first two Descents with DXX-Rebirth. They're better than 3.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#7Valkeerie(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:17:44 AM
Ah, thanks for the suggestions! I've already played Descent and Descent 2, so the third is what is left for me to play. Joy2Pad or XPadder it is, then!
---
#8claytonbuckleyPosted 9/16/2013 6:26:45 AM(edited)
I have the Soul Reaver games from Steam.

Horrible ports. Resident Evil 4 bad. They don't have native controller support. I think i got 1 of them to work with this horrible controller i had but i think the best bet would be Xpadder or something.
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#9Valkeerie(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:50:33 AM
I won't be using Steam though, I was considering GOG. Any difference in quality of the ports?
---
#10MarceloSampaioPosted 9/16/2013 7:51:57 AM(edited)
Valkeerie posted...
I won't be using Steam though, I was considering GOG. Any difference in quality of the ports?

Nah, its basically the same.

But as others said, its not a good port. The videos are interlaced, there are crashes and freezes all around (happens quite often), there are issues with many video cards, and controller support is weird.

To be honest, I rather play the Dreamcast version in a emulator. Works (and looks) better than the PC port.

As for Descent, like others said, use DXX-Rebirth port. Looks amazing, plays great, and its easy to use.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!