This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People always talk about how bad communities are...

#21JKatarnPosted 9/15/2013 8:05:56 PM
Slayn posted...
Smaller more niche communities are good, the larger a game, the worst the community. Especially without dedicated servers, where you play with the same people. You can just be an ass, and you will never see that person again. There aren't too many games with small communities. I remember Neverwinter Nights was cool.

Yeah, this is due to the set percentage of a**holes in the populace - a more popular game is of course going to have more of them in there (and a handful of repressed/frustrated people that become a**holes when shielded by the anonymity of the internet).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#22TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 8:19:49 PM
JKatarn posted...
Well, the whole time I've been playing Guild Wars 2 (since near release), I've had 1, maybe 2 negative interactions with people. People are generally helpful and pleasant, though I think that is due to the design of the game largely encouraging cooperation (no competition for material nodes, more XP for more participation in world events etc.).

Honestly, I'm not so sure that it's because it's a "good" community. I played GW2 off and on since release and there is basically zero interaction between players. You just kind of run from place to place, being auto-grouped for quests and events and that's it.
#23CammyApplePosted 9/15/2013 8:38:20 PM
You just have to dig deeper. Nearly all games have a good community somewhere. You may just have to look outside of the common playerbase.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#24gamewizard11Posted 9/15/2013 8:40:40 PM
JKatarn posted...
Well, the whole time I've been playing Guild Wars 2 (since near release), I've had 1, maybe 2 negative interactions with people. People are generally helpful and pleasant, though I think that is due to the design of the game largely encouraging cooperation (no competition for material nodes, more XP for more participation in world events etc.).

This. Guild Wars 2 is filled with the same kind of jerks that WoW, LoL, and other online games have. But the game is DESIGNED to encourage and reward cooperation, so people out of their own interest, choose to cooperate. It makes for a refreshing experience in usually nasty and hostile online communities.

Also, a lot of niche games usually have pretty good communities.
---
don't have a waifu. 2D is just too mainstream and 1D is not even visible.
#25GarhinderPosted 9/15/2013 8:56:11 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Sc2 is probably the most mature.

I have a hard time believing that. I've seen the BNET forums. They're one of the crappiest communities I've seen.
#26SienrurouniPosted 9/15/2013 9:43:51 PM
Shadowrun for 360 and PC always had a pretty good community. Save for the small group that freaked out about anyone that tried to grab the flag in CTF.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#27FustmonkeyPosted 9/15/2013 10:24:34 PM
Small communities are great. The COD3 community on Xbox was superb. I made lifelong friends there.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"
#28happyscrub1Posted 9/15/2013 10:25:45 PM
City of Heroes had the best community ever! You have to look hard to find any negative comment about it
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#29JhayCeePosted 9/15/2013 11:04:42 PM
LaTale and Elsword gets my vote for having a lot of nice and helpful people.
---
Religious Person: God loves us so much he gave us his only son.
Me: I know, man. I still can't believe Michael Jackson died.